M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guy in front's got a WWI 1903 with a grasping groove stock, ladder sight and all...

What a ballsy group they were. At least with that rifle selection, they weren't outranged!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My grandfather and great uncle were both Seabee's. From what I can surmise, my uncle spent some time on Guadalcanal and my grandfather on Bougainville.

My grandfather acquired an M1 Carbine at some point because he had carried one in the war. I have that carbine now and proudly shoot it in our local carbine matches.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Actually, my father, a Seabee carried an 03 throughout the war.

On a different subject, I saw some WW2 Marine Camo for sale in Army Surplus Stores in the 50's as a child in Texas right after the movie "Battle Cry" came out.

The Army used it for a brief period after D-Day but dropped it after confusion with German SS Camo.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
what weapon is the tall guy 1st on left in the second row holding? looks kinda like a sawed off shotgun. very large fore arm.
andy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is the USMC Defense photo caption to that goes with that photo:

"Raiders pose during a lull in the battle next to one of the Japanese dugouts they cleared on Cape Torokina on 1 November"

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great photo! One of my grandfather's friends was a Raider. I knew he was in the Marines during WWII but never knew he was a Raider until my local paper did an article about him about 15 years ago. He got all kinds of medals and was with the Raiders from their inception until the end of the war. This guy still looked like he could beat down most men when he was in his 70's and it was awesome to find out that he was the real deal. He passed away about 5 years ago but never talked about his experiences except for that newspaper article.

Motown out

ARMY1

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of my favorite customers, Sid, was injured in the Battle for Hill 700 on Bougainville. An officer in the 37th (Ohio) Division, he was nominated for the Medal of Honor and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. He returned to his unit after recovering from his wounds and helped to liberate the Philippines.

Then he came home, worked and retired, and is enjoying a simple life in a little town. Those heroes still walk among us, for a short time, at least.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dad was awarded the Soldiers Medal on Tinian, for running into a burning bomb dump to rescue a couple guys.http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=27693

His half-brother Bruno, on Kwajalein, the Navy Cross and a purple heart, for taking his machine gun squad in where the tanks wouldn't go. http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=8507 Got a bullet in the chest, too close to the heart to remove, continued to fire his carbine and direct machine gun fire. Later, landed on Tinain and Saipan. Then another purple heart on Iwo Jima, in the "Meat Grinder". Dad got a three day pass to vist him in the hospital on Saipan, 30 miles from Tinian, Dad's first airplane flight. Where Dad learned that Bruno's nickname was 'Zeke', probably as in "Zeke the Sneak". There is now an action figure, "Zeke, the Iwo Jima Machingunner". Not much resemblance, Bruno was not that heavy, tall skinny kid.

Bruno was scheduled to be interviewed for the show "Home Town Heroes" but the interview was canceled due to other breaking news. Date was Semper 11...

One of Bruno's nine kids was a USAF lifer, actually flew his Dad in a plane load of vets to Iwo for the 50th anniversary. (makes me cloud up an rain)

Foolish young kids, that the world depends on to win wars. Today, too many join gangs instead.

PS: the Navy Time link above is the best source for looking up actual medal winners. There is no Gov compendium, barley a MOH tally. But that site started at the top with MOH, through the Crosses, Silver Stars, now down to Soldiers(Sailors, Airman,Coasty?) Medals. They want to add any bonafide records you have. Dad's commendation was a list of a couple dozen, all the Soldier's Medals awarded on Tinian. I filed it to that site. What records do you have? Any era. Discharge papers have lists.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Great photo! One of my grandfather's friends was a Raider. I knew he was in the Marines during WWII but never knew he was a Raider until my local paper did an article about him about 15 years ago. He got all kinds of medals and was with the Raiders from their inception until the end of the war. This guy still looked like he could beat down most men when he was in his 70's and it was awesome to find out that he was the real deal. He passed away about 5 years ago but never talked about his experiences except for that newspaper article.

Motown out

ARMY1
my grandfather was in europe,his toe nails were all bent and his feet looked like hell and had a fungus like jock itch on steroids. After he died we went through his papers and found,a 21 day mia pin.His best friend ,a Marine in the pacific,told me he was at Anzio.
Damn fine men,and couldnt be more humble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.