M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wifey got me binge watching Bosch on Amazon and season 3 snipers rifle looked familiar? M14? These guys are contractors in Middle East.

FYI They were shooting steel silhouette hangers at 1200 yds. Is this reasonable distance for this rifle?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Probably, but it probably requires all the accuracy mods to be done. And then practice practice practice.

But rest assured the characters in the show will be shooting a rifle with all that done to it. Probably says so in the notes to the script for background info. LOL

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duce,

Sorry I missed your thread back in 2017. I think the series is really well done and got hooked. I like to see humble characters that don't take BS from arrogant A$$holes!

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I just finished reading "The Overlook". Bosch's service pistol is a Kimber Ultra Carry.

Reactions: luigi

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Having shot the M1A/M14 at 1000yds. and to answer your question is 1200yds. a reasonable distance for the rifle, I would say it is not. 1000yds. for both the rifle and the caliber(7.62NATO) is pretty much it for reliable accurate hits. Have no doubt the round will go longer distances, but not controllable beyond the 1K mark. Attended a regional match at Lodi, Wisconsin some years ago which had ranges beyond the 1K( I think went on out to 1500yds??) and wanted to give it a try but the 308 was deemed to have more drop than desired and not safe for the pit crew or at least that is what they told me and my partner. Having shot the bolt rifle in Long Range for quite a few years at the 1K target have never been able to clean that target but have shot High Master scores with it, but that is all the rifle/round wants from my experience.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi,
The stock in the foreground is a Troy Industries.

I think I read that the official max range for the 7.62X51 is 800 yds.!

That has been upped as stated by the better shooters out there.

There is a guy on U-Tube shooting an FN FAL at 1200 yds, making torso size hits?

Might be the nut behind the trigger that makes the dfference!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, just got around to watching this series. In the above mentioned scene, after the shot I heard what I thought was the "ping" of an en-bloc being ejected. Now it could just be cabin fever setting in or the foley guys heard "M1?" and added sound effects based off of that.

Side note, I think I need some range time as a "cure."

·
Registered
329 Posts
There was an interesting article in Precision Shooting about shooting the M14 at 1000 yards. It was appropriately titled "You can't get there from here" and then proceeded to explore the subject. I have a copy around somewhere and will look it up, see if I can post excerpts.

Anyone know if I would get in trouble about copyrights?

y

·
Registered
327 Posts
There was an interesting article in Precision Shooting about shooting the M14 at 1000 yards. It was appropriately titled "You can't get there from here" and then proceeded to explore the subject. I have a copy around somewhere and will look it up, see if I can post excerpts.

Anyone know if I would get in trouble about copyrights?

I don't think you get in trouble unless you sell it to us.ICONWINK
I look forward to seeing some excerpts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts