M14 Forum banner

Boresighting the M14

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Dredsen 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to boresight an M14 in the shop or at the range? I have been boresighting varmint and deer rifles for years but can't figger out how to boresight my LRB M14 Ted Brown built and mounted the SEI US property mount on. I would like to get the scope on paper at a hunderd yds at home because I can hardly walk anymore and can't afford to waste a bunch of ammo. Plus my poor old shoulder can't take the punishment.

P.S. My shoulder has taken a liking to the durn black gun. A real peashooter.

#8 ·
P.S. My shoulder has taken a liking to the durn black gun. A real peashooter.
Welcome to the over the hill gang.... My right shoulder loves me a lot lately for taking up the little black gun.

If your iron sights are sighted in, do what KurtC suggested and should be golden. Or even do it on the range by resting the rifle on sandbags or bench rest, acquire your sight picture with the irons, without disturbing the sight picture adjust your scope reticle to the spot where your POI with irons would have been. Repeat a couple of times till you are certain the crosswires and the irons are aligned for same POI. Your first shot should be very close that you can tune the POI from that point on.

#9 ·
Not sure where I got the device, but it is simply a dummy cartridge w/ laser inside and mine is suitable for the 308 or 223. The 223 is nested inside the larger case and unscrews to use it for 223 firearms. Upon closing the bolt it makes contact and energizes the laser and the beam is strong enough in daylight to see on target at 25-30yds. With scope put crosshair on dot and with issue sights put the top of post on the dot. Think Brownells sells these devices. Had it for years and replaced the battery once, but it does not get used that much. It's a handy gadget and use in my Garand 308 and LRB M15 with no problems.

#17 ·
US bore reflector

Your post reminded me that I have 3 US bore reflectors that my Uncle Sam gave me 50 years ago. I always carry one at gun shows or whenever I want to inspect the condition of a bore from both ends.

It never dawned on me to use one to bore sight an M1 or M14 but I have never mounted a scope on either beore.

I have to tell you how I got my first US bore reflector.

In the Corps you had to have a yearly inspection of your M1 bore by a commissioned ossifer. I was the last one in line of a rifle company to have my bore inspected and the brandy new first LT handed me back my weapon with the little plastic bore reflector still in the chamber. Served him right for giving me a SPTO (slightly pitted through out).
That M1 had been on every island in the south pacific and the chosin reservoir. A couple weeks later I was issued one of them new fangled M14s. That was 1962.

#16 ·
I did it with a dentists mirror and a cardboard plate at 100m. Worked perfectly and the life shots were within a few inches.
Wolf

#18 ·
I went on amazon and bought a dental mirror for a pittance.

With the mirror you can use traditional bore sight methods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.