M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to pick up a few things for some new winter projects. Grabbed two stocks from Numrich and one from treeline. Numrich order showed up today. Test fitting my socom into the walnut was pleasantly surprising as it fits properly enough without any fuss work. A quick alcohol wipe down, fresh coat of RLO and a butt plate got it up to snuff. Added a TNVC cheek rest and cheap sling. Ok lock up, no heel gap, snug fit and almost perfect alignment has me hopeful with a little effort it will be a good shooter. Cartouch looks to be double struck, proof was once and I forgot to take a pick of what was under butt plate. None the less its got dings, dents and all the character a field stock needs!

Fiberglass is in rough shape and was listed as poor with everything rusted beyond saving. Bit of repair needed hiding under front sling loop when the corrosion pulled the coating off. Butt plate was trashed, top screw came loose, bottom one broke inside stock so I need to get crafty. Forearm is not warped so this will be what I am going go use as my first attempt at bedding and reinforcing for real. Hoping to salvage this one even though it won't be USGI correct at all.

Here's the current setup. Really hoping to get to the range next weekend and give it an initial shakedown. Best part of this all, it lost 2lbs and is around 12.5lbs as it sits.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Tints and shades Rim Bicycle

Wood Finger Material property Font Flooring

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,900 Posts
If the bottom screw on the FG stock broke off at the swivel you might try a trick I figured out, find a piece of plastic tube that fits in the hole in the stock, cut a piece to fit leaving a little sticking out but make sure the tube bottoms against the swivel. Find a drill that fits inside the plastic tube and use the tube to center the drill, it will need to be a good drill like cobalt and long enough to reach, I used a aircraft drill. you will probably have to use a larger drill to finish the job but you will have the new hole to center the bigger drill. If that does not work you will have to cut it on both sides of the swivel with a hack saw and fill in the cuts with some epoxy afterwards.

eQ

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the bottom screw on the FG stock broke off at the swivel you might try a trick I figured out, find a piece of plastic tube that fits in the hole in the stock, cut a piece to fit leaving a little sticking out but make sure the tube bottoms against the swivel. Find a drill that fits inside the plastic tube and use the tube to center the drill, it will need to be a good drill like cobalt and long enough to reach, I used a aircraft drill. you will probably have to use a larger drill to finish the job but you will have the new hole to center the bigger drill. If that does not work you will have to cut it on both sides of the swivel with a hack saw and fill in the cuts with some epoxy afterwards.

eQ
That's a great idea and something I am gonna try, though it seems as if the screw twisted off like a pretzel inside the stock and may not be straight enough to slide a tube over. I'm coming to terms with the idea i might just have to cut it. On this stock I'm considering adding QD sockets like I've done to others for a more modern style sling setup. If I go that route I'll simply cut the loop off flush and fill it all in and smooth over.

My end goal is similar to a mod fib Wolfe does or an M1army reinforced stock so I may be able to hide imperfections under the coating. I tried heat and oil, both with a soldering iron and direct flame to no avail. I'm very surprised how much stiffer the FG is vs the SAI synthetic so it should respond well to some reinforcing. For the price I paid as long at the stock was straight I was ok with some work on my end.

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents. My treeline stock should be here Wednesday so im anxious to get that in hand. A buddy of mine will be getting whichever wood stock I don't keep so its win win. All depends which fits my rifle best.

Finally tackled my Fiberglass stock from Numrich. Had to cut the stock to get rear sling loop out. Repaired that, gave it some paint and its g2g! Started off with a clean FDE color that was just too camel/sand ran for me so I gave it a "dry brush" run and went for a weathered look. Always fun trying paint techniques out. This things fits utterly perfect so im taking it to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

P.S- if you ever spray paint something and its still tacky feeling a few days later but you want to use it, rub it with talc powder lightly. Brush excess off and repeat till feels dry.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

Bicycle part Automotive tire Air gun Sports equipment Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my favorite of the outfits this socom has seen
I really wish my junky tablet would do the stock justice. It's a tweener profile, nice dark walnut with a nice figure hiding behind the awesome red patina. Its currently hanging up getting my blend of RLO and Mineral Spirits since it was pretty gummy feeling that day on the range. Biggest perk of it is this one shoots best!

Turning my FG into a crazy horse, mod fib, m1army hybrid for fun.

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got a reinforced fiberglass build and love the stock. Those FG stocks are pretty handy.
For me I'm guilt free messing with one vs messing up a usgi wood. For an all weather deal it's worth a shot, tho I'm curious to see how stiff I can get it without adding a ton of weight. Not gonna get to greedy with reinforcing. Fit was tight to reciever, alignment is near perfect down forearm, but lockup was lazy so I'm gonna have to skim bed a few places as well. Taking my time and assessing as I go while I wait for my pacific machine and tool jig to get in. Work is slow for me so I need a low cost project to keep me busy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts