M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have not studied Mr. Zediker's excellent article on cleaning the M14 bore it would be in your best interest to do so. It was new, interesting and witty. Most of all, I found two Products, Foul Out and Bore Bright that will make the job of cleaning the bore quicker, I hope so..

It is not my purpose to criticize Mr. Zediker's work but rather to ask a few questions to those of you that adhere to his suggestions and methods.

If I read the Article correctly, his method of bore cleaning was done from the Muzzle end of the barrel, correctly me I missed something.. Having personally released a Tape of similar maintenance too many years ago to be consider serious today my suggestions were not unlike his. At the time of the release of that tape it was an acceptable cleaning method.. We should know today there is an improved method, improved in the sense of protecting the Muzzle Crown during the cleaning process.

My questions are: Is Mr. Zediker's Article also outdated and has anybody else noticed this oversight? Art

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not sure what article it is....?

I adhere to JB and Kroil, some 50 lbs fishing line with a loop and string it through the barrel from the breech end. Works, works good, my rifles get clean, my crown is avoided entirely and every day at the range is one day closer to putting all 10 shots inside the X ring (with irons from position) with the beasts...

There's too much hoopla and black magic about cleaning... Pick a method, pick a cleaner, avoid the crown, and clean the sucker on whatever schedule floats your boat...

Thats my .02.....

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't call the article outdated; maybe incomplete, but not outdated. For those who clean with a rod, what he recommends is still good, sound advice. I think he should have either written the article to include the use of an Otis-type pull-through or a Bore-snake, or else he should write a supplement to the article to add this info.

Many people today don't use a cleaning rod, as I'm certain most of us are aware. I don't particularly care for the Bore-snake, but a length of weed-whacker line with a patch loop tied in the end accompanies me out to the woods whenever I go. That way, I can apply a couple drops of oil to the bore on a wet day, or whatever else I need to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts