M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious. Has anyone ever made a TiN plated barrel "the bore"? I have seen chrome, and nitrided barrels, but never TiN. I am curious why. It seems if chrome would work, TiN would be better? What other treatments to the bore have you men seen? Chrome lined barrels have a mostly great reputation when used as intended. With modern industrial coatings and platings being very good with lots of choices for different uses, I was just wondering if any of these might be useful for barrels, like hard chrome lining of the bore. Nickel boron perhaps?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember that, along with moly coating bullets and bores. Some makers still cryo treat barrels. It is said to be good for relieving stress in the steel caused by the rifling procedure. I am no metal expert, so I have to take their word for it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have coated a 22 lr rifle barrel with moly in the bore. It is a breeze to clean now. I saw no change in accuracy. I also did the action of that rifle. It will clean up with just a couple blast of air. It is a dry lube, so no gumming like oil can do. It was an experiment, and it seems to work good. Only problem is not getting moly on everything in the house. That stuff is MESSY!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nitriding is probably the easiest if increased wear resistance is the issue. I'll let you know if this latest rage works as advertised if and when my latest AR's throat goes South.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I had a stainless barrel on a ULA Model 20 nitrated twenty five years ago. It's held up well, still shoots great , the bore looks good and cleans up easily. The outside is very scratch resistant.
It's been out in some rough weather, but I've never neglected it for long periods. Being in Wyomin, dunno about sea water. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts