M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long distance boots for rough country you will be crossing streams
rocky country...
Have read on prepper foods, storage and other items but not on boots and clothes one might need for a long term movement and what would last...
A line of boot that would hold up under tuff conditions and would be support to ankles...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Great suggestion NOMAD , no one talks about this...
What type of gear do you suggest? I have never been one that could afford all of the tacticool mall ninja gear and im not sure much of the clothing would last too long in SHTF WROL TEOTWAKI etc. Seems to me what works in real every day life should work in SHTF no? Good quality products that can be repaired easily and fits you well.

My current boots are corcoran jump boots with rubber lug soles instead of jump soles, although I am not sure if these will work for long distance hikes, I suppose they wont be terrible. Ive mentioned in the past how I stock pile workable clothes, what do you do in this department?

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
DANNERS...

I have them, my wife has them...our kids in Alaska all have Danners...

Very Well Made...Long Lasting...

One of those things that...You Get What You Pay For....But, That Does NOT Mean You Can't Shop Around...Cheaper Price for Same Model, Even Sales!

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Danner gets my vote if your in a cooler, damp climate like the Pacific Northwest. They get a little warm in southern California.

Rain Forest and Recon have been my favorite. You can select the amount of insulation for the season / climate.

Like other manufacturers, Danner is making some products in China and other countries.

American made Danners are in the $300 price range.

I look forward to other opinions for a warmer climate boot.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
After PM exchange with a forum member here and also active in Sniper's Hide, 45.308, who has wealth of knowledge on boots and the outdoors, I settled on Lowa boots made in Germany. For good measure I acquired a pair Kenetrek Mountain Extreme for colder weather.

·
Banned
971 Posts
I still use a pair of Matterhorns I got at the PX in Hanau Germany 21 years ago. They have countless miles through rain, mud, and snow hunting. I may need to have them resoled before next year but they are still holding strong.GI1

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Carolina loggers for me. Unlined in the summer. Sub-zero insulated in the winter. Good socks make a big diff too.

Had one CPO in my P-3 squadron who would make us aircrewmen get new flight boots , right before an operational flight (8-10hr) , if our old ones looked too broken in and comfortable.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I used a pair of Danner Pathfinder boots with 600 grams of Thinsulite this year while elk hunting. I was hunting at altitudes of 9000 - 11000 feet and the weather was terrible, it snowed, rained, and sleeted the first three days with temps as low as 14 degrees. I had a lot of water, including creeks that I had to wade through; not to mention mud everywhere. I sprayed the boots with waterproofing but it was gone after the first couple of days so they were usually wet through and through by the end of the hunting day, and yet me feet stayed warm and comfortable.

The down side is that Danner has some boots made in the U.S. and some in China with the Pathfinder being made in China. Regardless, the Pathfinders boots seem to be holding up so far and they are the best combination of comfort, warmth, and traction (mud, snow, ice, rock) that I've found in a boot so far.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Purchase Merino Wool

For ease of care and natural microbial protection Merino Wool is probably the best. It will protect your feet from infection, it is easy to clean, it stays warm even wet, it breaths, it won't develope bacterial stink, it is easy to wash with just about any soap and it is ready to wear faster than any other fiber, here are a few links:
http://merinowoolapparel.com/merino-wool-benefits
http://www.wool-underwear.com.cn/about_merino_wool.html
Good socks make a good boot better.

Jim

Reactions: RAMMAC

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Absolutely the best I've found. I used Merino Wool socks along with light weight sock liners this year and that is one of the reasons I had such warm feet. The Merino Wool socks dried very quickly and they provided more cushion when wet, after a full day's mountain hiking, than any other sock I've ever used.

For ease of care and natural microbial protection Merino Wool is probably the best. It will protect your feet from infection, it is easy to clean, it stays warm even wet, it breaths, it won't develope bacterial stink, it is easy to wash with just about any soap and it is ready to wear faster than any other fiber, here are a few links:
http://merinowoolapparel.com/merino-wool-benefits
http://www.wool-underwear.com.cn/about_merino_wool.html
Good socks make a good boot better.

Jim

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

+1 on Corcorans. 65 + years = time and battle tested ! depends on terrain for lug pattern. but I prefer stars&bars pattern. most hunting or logging boots have this pattern . georgia, danner, or chipewa all make good logger/lineman boots the will go the distance and take alot of abuse but the price to pay is they weigh alot more so get ready for heavy footgear !

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
+1 on all the mentions of Danner. I bought the Danner RAT boots, which are Berry compliant( highest standard of made in the US products) and nothing holds a candle to them. They are expensive, but are supposed to be incredibly durable. They are the most comfortable, out of the box boots I have ever worn. They are really tough. Simply outstanding. The company rep I spoke with said that when I wear out the sole, I can mail it back in and have them sew a new one on the the boots, so I would expect them to continue to hold up pretty well. Anyway, they are great, and they have lot of other models, which are probably really nice, without the huge price tag. My thought was that if TSHTF, and especially for long term, I wanted to have the most rugged, and best boots available, as they could be my last pair. Your feet are something you want to take care of, or you could be in some serious trouble, so I didn't skimp. I plan to buy more, in different models, because I am so happy with them. So two thumbs up for Danner, for anyone interested.

Even if nothing happens, I figure it will end up cheaper in the long run, to not have to continue to replace boots so often. And I'll enjoy the higher quality all the while, so it just makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
For a SHTF boot

Given the SHTF possiblity in this thread, it becomes important to have the very best qualities in the boot. The very best leather for foot wear based on strength, weight, comfort, durablity, is kangaroo leather.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_leather
The total package should include the durability of the sole, stitching, inner liner, laces, and the leather. Name recognition is great but in a real SHTF situation you may not be able to send them back for repair, they also may be the only form of locomotion you have. Back pack, clothing, boots, socks, it may get down to how well your foot wear serves you. Kangaroo hide is the very best there is.

Jim

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
That's true but Danner isn't just a brand name. I have a pair of 5" light hiking boots that I bought in 1985 or so (25 years +) that are still going strong. They have the original soles and leather uppers. I still use them for summer hiking.

Given the SHTF possiblity in this thread, it becomes important to have the very best qualities in the boot. The very best leather for foot wear based on strength, weight, comfort, durablity, is kangaroo leather.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_leather
The total package should include the durability of the sole, stitching, inner liner, laces, and the leather. Name recognition is great but in a real SHTF situation you may not be able to send them back for repair, they also may be the only form of locomotion you have. Back pack, clothing, boots, socks, it may get down to how well your foot wear serves you. Kangaroo hide is the very best there is.

Jim

·
Registered
781 Posts
You cant beat wool . It was made for the weather. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Carolina loggers for me. Unlined in the summer. Sub-zero insulated in the winter. Good socks make a big diff too.

Had one CPO in my P-3 squadron who would make us aircrewmen get new flight boots , right before an operational flight (8-10hr) , if our old ones looked too broken in and comfortable.
I have my Carolina Loggers on right now, ma favorite climbing boots for the good price. Soles wear out fast though INMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife and I have desert combat boots tied to our BOB's They were 15 to 25 bucks mine were new. Not the best shoes but they are the best compromise when combined with wool socks, liners, and some goretex liners when we get around to finding them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.