M14 Forum banner

Boots and/or footwear

12K views 89 replies 54 participants last post by  jamesreed3124 
#1 ·
Lets talk boots and other footwear. You can only go as far as your feet will take you in many a true SHTF situation.

As I get older, I am having more and more foot issues from years of punishing my feet in the military when I was young and invincible. I wish I had paid the extra for the best shoes and boots when I was younger and I probably wouldn't have the issues I have now, not to mention my knees would be in better shape as well.

Around 2006 or so I began searching for the best boot to wear while in uniform and though not "authorized", I ended up wearing the full-size Converse Desert boot with the side zipper as it was the most comfortable boot I had ever worn. Now that I am older and have even more issues, I have to add my inserts from the VA to them, but they are still almost on a par with my Nike running shoes that I also have to add an insert to make them comfortable. They will wear out over time, as I have gone through several pairs (8 inch and 6 inch versions), and they can not be resoled as far as I can tell, but like a pair of high top basketball shoes, they are lightweight, comfortable and give good ankle support. They are definitely not for colder climates.

I wear the 6"version now, and the last pair I bought were made by Reebok as Converse has discontinued them. The boot is pictured here: http://www.lapolicegear.com/coc86mecotoe.html

If you are looking for a comfortable boot and can find any of the Converse ones in stock in your size, these are comfortable. If you can't find any, the Reeboks look to be basically the exact same boot.

How about the rest of you - What boot or shoes do you recommend for a combination of comfort/wearability and durability?

See less See more
#79 ·
I have three sets of boots; two of which the OP describes (Converse, desert tan, side zip and Reebock, foliage green, side zips) as well as a set of Altimas. My general impression mirrors that of the OP...same with the Altima Boots. I don't get to use them so much anymore and will likely never get to the point where I could speak to their durability. But "comfy" they are, for sure!

#80 ·
I've been working in Danners Recons for 14 years. I keep resoleing one pair but the last resoleing at a local cobbler hasn't fared me well. May send them back to Danner to be recrafted. Just found a deal on Amazon prime for a pair for $228. I was sitting on some gift cards and pulled the trigger on the purchase. I've done the Oakley boots, Nike boots and Rockys that never seem to work out for me at work. I always come back to Danners and figure I'll finish my career in them.

I am however looking for a good all around hiking, working around the house boot.

#81 ·
Had Danner back in the day. Solid boot made in Oregon, but heavy.
I went with a Belleville that had a running shoe sole and it blew me away. VERY comfortable. I'm currently looking for a second pair for when my current pair blows out. Don't think they're going to last as long as my Danners, but the price is right and it really does feel different than any other boot I've tried. Made in usa too.

For backpacking or a heavy ruck I got a pair of Scarpa's that were made in Italy. The most I've ever spent on boots, 3 bills, but man oh man! Feels like I have memory foam ankle wraps on. Not joking. I don't think I could roll my ankle if I tried. If you're looking for the best, you can throw them in the mix. I really see why they carry that price.

#86 ·
I have been wearing my waterproof Ariat Workhogs with the composite toe for several months and am quite pleased with them. I wanted a 2nd pait without the composite toe to not "abuse" as badly around the farm, but I didn't want to pay $179 dollars like I did for my first ones, so I did the logical thing and went to ebay. (I bought my youngest son a used pair off of there a few months ago, cleaned them up, "disinfected" them with anti-fungal/athletes foot spray, added new Ariat inserts and he was GTG until this week when I added a different, more cushioned insert. )

I have been watching the site and almost won a new pair for $112 a week ago that sells on Amazon for $179, but l lost in the last few seconds,. So when a very slightly used pair of Workhogs (only worn on the street for dress boots) came up, I jumped on them and got a $160-$170 pair of boots for $75 plus shipping of $10.

I got them in day before yesterday, disinfected them, and added my inserts from the VA. I wore them out last night and have cleaned them up for church tomorrow.

The pair I got for my son had been used hard, but not that hard, and some polish, waterproof spray, and new foot pads made "new" boots out of them. The ones I just got for myself, really required nothing except spraying for athletes foot. I highly recommend ebay for "used" expensive boots, but only if you know how to clean them up and return them to a serviceable life.

Between these and the various military boots that I have, I am set on footwear for a very long time.

#88 ·
I've been using a pair of altimas for I want to say about 5 years.

That's mostly winter only use and working in them every now and them. But they are getting really warn out and are getting to the point where they are uncomfortable to wear for things such as hiking.

I am going to be in the market for new boots soon.

#89 ·
Well, I recommend that you try the ebay option and you will most likely come across a good deal. This is the exact boot I just got off there for $85 total (including shipping) and as you can see it sells for $170 new, and mine was only very slightly used. There will be new and (as in my case) like new ones that come up at a steal. I wouldn't hike in these, but for wearing around the farm or as every day boots, they are hard to beat. I bet you could find what you want on there.
http://www.onlineshoes.com/Mens-ariat-workhog-pull-on-aged-bark-army-green-p_id143106?adtrack=criteo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.