M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know .....

As many (and I do mean "MANY") times as I had to blurt out my weapons serial number to that mean ole' cuss (aka Drill Instructor) during that time I can't for the life of me remember my M14s' serial number.

Service number ..... No Problem

Hell ..... I even remember the combination to the master lock that secured my weapon to the rack ..... BUT .....

Suffer "bigtime" from CRS when it comes to my trusty weapon .. The M14

I have thought about this many times but always come up empty handed ... or should I say empty headed? :roll:

Six Out!

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Don't feel too bad....I don't remember mine either. I did remember it once when during Boot Camp at PI, several of us were sent to the company Gunny's office for some kind of detail. When we got there the Gunny wasn't in and we were told that he went to chow. So us "indivuals" then decided that we should go and get chow real quick and be back by the time the Gunny returned. We had our 14s with us so we left one guy to watch them and went across the way to the messhall. Well when we came back the guy was gone and so were the rifles. Realizing we were in deep doo doo, we sheepishly knocked on the Gunny's door. The Gunny came out the door and asked us where our weapons were. We had to tell them that they were stolen. Well he climbed all over us and then had us go into his office. Well there they all were leaning up against the wall. The Gunny said that those who remembered their rifle # could get them and get the *$%*&^ back to our barracks and wait for the DIs to come back for us (still in deep doo doo) That was the only time that I can remember knowing my rifle # without looking at it. I still remember my service # and SSN as we had to know both as we got caught up in the changeover from ser # to SSN. Haven't remembered my rifle# since. :( Semper-Fi! Hawk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I had to memorize the M14 ser no in Basic (mine was a five digit, most others had six), a different M14 in AIT, another in the 82d, the first XM16E1 in the 82d, but once I got to the 173d in country all the nonsense stopped. Can't remember anything about them except both M16's were Colt (naturally it was 1965 and 66) and the first M14 in basic was an SA.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You know for the life of me, I also can't remember the serial number of my basic training M14. I had a weapon I.D. card with the serial number on it that I kept and later put somewhere along with my military drivers license and Geneva Convention card. I have been looking for them for years. I can only hope that some day I will find them.

Any one else still have their Geneva Convention Card?

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't say that I have that either Ox ....

I do have (somewhere around here) my "actual" range book that we used all through rangetime and I remember looking through it and not finding the serial number anywhere in there. Of course the years have taken its toll on it and the front cover was missing where I would think the serial number would have been logged by me back then.

I'll have to see if I can relocate that and get some pics posted for ya .....

Here goes another "hunt" .... :roll:

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I still have my original set of dogtags and the USMC issued sweatshirt that I wore all through Bootcamp :D of course it doesn't fit anymore. :cry: All my uniforms were stored in a hopechest that somehow got damp inside and they all went by the wayside due to mildew. I managed to rescue one khacki short sleeve shirt as well as one chevron from my winter greens and some assorted insignia and buttons. Couldn't find my range book either, which was up in my parents attic. Never did find out what happened to that. :cry: Hawk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still have my dog tags from 1965, and the s/n of my weapon was 1150137. At my next duty station, I was issued s/n 264708. Boy!...that was a long time ago. :wink:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya Mike ...

Question: Did you have this written down somewheres or did you dig it out from within your mind ... ???

You Da Man! :wink:

Six

·
Registered
37 Posts
SixT, the first s/n was the one issued to me in basic training at Ft.Dix,we had to know that s/n like it was our own name :) ...the other s/n I found on the paperwork issuing the weapon out to me from the arms room. I kept all this misc. paperwork when I got out of the Army in 68. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
As I recall I was also given a bayonet card to go along with my rifle card. When I find my rifle card I will also have found the bayonet card.

My first set of dog tags issued in basics (67) had my "US" Service number. My second set were issued when I received orders to go to Okinawa (68). The second set had my "US" Service number and my SSN.

Uniforms issued in basics had the old Black & Gold US Army. Our name tag was the new subdued instead of white name tag. We were the first cycle to be issued these.

Uniforms issued also had the button cuff on the shirt sleeve. The cycle before had the non button cuff.

Everyone in basics was issued an M14 with wood furniture except one individual that had a synthetic stock on his M14.

Regards

Ox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts