M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
M110 8” SP a very stable gun platform that could also be rebarreled to 175 mm which had a longer range. Every time my old Smoke (platoon Seargent) talked about them he’d get all in his happy place. Those that were on them tended to love them.
I also know a guy at the club who was tired of being harassed by a .51 across the valley and fired a direct fire mission on it by laying on the muzzle flash of the machine gunthrough the tube of the howitzer, they were never bothered again after the 200+ pound projectile found its target.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,794 Posts
Spent both tours on them in 70-72.
Sky Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

LZ Sally, 2nd section, Charly Battery, 1st of the 83rd FA, XXIV Corps.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,794 Posts
and the sister; reaching out to touch someone !!
WoW, I just realized that the picture shows five serviceman on the Gun. From the 1 Field Force, Vietnam. 6th Battalion, 14th FA. Bravo Battery.

XXIV Corps

Reactions: JeffG and tgilkey

·
Registered
875 Posts
The M110 and M107 were both excellent. The M110 was reportedly far mor accurate but the M107 was the longest ranged piece of artillery this country ever fielded. I believe it could reach out to some 35,000 yards. I think Turkey and the RoK still use the 110.

·
Retired Admin
18,794 Posts
I think Turkey and the RoK still use the 110.
Current operators[edit]
Former operators[edit]

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
For you guys that were around the big guns. How’s your hearing?
We all worry about hearing loss from a little ol .308. Those big guys must of shaken the fillings out of your teeth.

·
Retired Admin
18,794 Posts
The VA said I have 100% perfect hearing. But the wife can tell them different!

XXIV Corps

·
Registered
163 Posts
For you guys that were around the big guns. How’s your hearing?
We all worry about hearing loss from a little ol .308. Those big guys must of shaken the fillings out of your teeth.
I was assigned to an M198 (155mm) towed battery at Ft. Lewis. 3rd.Bn. 34th FA. 83-86. We fired a lot. Yakima, Ft. Bliss. I actually got to where I would be so exhausted at times during extended field exercises that I could sleep through a fire mission. I'm 62 now, I have tinnitus pretty bad. I need to go to the VA for some hearing aids as my insurance doesn't cover them.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
25 years...Marine Corps first 0341, then Army National Guard 13B, 19E, Then 19K... Huh? Let's talk hearing, what did you say?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts