M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a book I picked up at a local outdoors store. There are things I don't like about it (you can't just be all tools and no skills but you CAN be all skills and no tools), but really that's because it is very highly specialized. It is in fact what it advertises itself to be, providing basic ideas about dozens of types and sizes of survival kits for 'most every situation (I never say 'every' in this context, you have to leave room for the unimaginable). Well worth a look:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-Survival-John-McCann/dp/1440238057/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402668496&sr=1-3&keywords=survival+kits[/ame]

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Agreed, gear without skills is worse than skills without gear.

I like the analogy of, if you were lost in the woods or your car broke down in the middle of nowhere and you completely naked, but the more you walked, the more you come across the stuff you need the most, what would it be( btw, your vehicle is the best, ready made shelter you have).

Well, the first thing you'd want are clothes, so adequate clothes are the most important thing, especially footwear. If it was dark, you'd want a flashlight, so that's up there. In the car, road flares are good for marking and great for fire starting. Real soon you'd want some water, so drinking water is key.

The decision to sit tight and wait for help or go look for help is the basic issue. Letting folks know where you're going and when you should be back is key. "If I'm not back by ____, send help.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
IMHO, it's a good read. It's been one of those few books I've gone back to look over specific items again.
There's always the ten essentials, but I like to expand on that a little even if I'm out for a walk. It's surprising how often people find themselves in trouble of one kind or the other on just a little hike or weekend drive.
Learn some fundamental things, practice some basic skills, and carry a few things to keep it simple.

·
Registered
973 Posts
When Barnes and Noble closed up shop, I visited one of their stores at the local mall during their clearance sale. I saw a copy of this book and took some minutes scanning thru it. I liked it. But then I committed the ultimate sin - I put it back on the shelf to "think about it". When I came back, it was gone. Dang it!

I've been looking for a good used copy locally since then but can't find one. So, I might just go to Amazon.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When Barnes and Noble closed up shop, I visited one of their stores at the local mall during their clearance sale. I saw a copy of this book and took some minutes scanning thru it. I liked it. But then I committed the ultimate sin - I put it back on the shelf to "think about it". When I came back, it was gone. Dang it!

I've been looking for a good used copy locally since then but can't find one. So, I might just go to Amazon.
Wait- Barnes and Noble have closed up shop?!?

Or did you mean Borders?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts