M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post but have been reading other post for some time now. Have a problem with my LRB M-14 some one my be able to help me with. Some times when firing the bolt will jam about half ways back with an empty casing stuck between bolt and reciever as it was trying to eject. Have to remove mag and trigger group to un-jam it. I have noticed with the stock off and trigger group back in place that if u use a little down ward pressure on op rod handle as you are pulling it back the op rod will tilt out ward and cause the bolt to come back a little **** eyed causing the bolt hang up on the hammer and stop about half ways back. This is with the hammer up as if has just been fired and cycling for next round. This does not happen if you pull straight back or use a little up ward pressure on the op rod handle and only happens when hammer is up and not cocked back. have only fired about 300 rounds with this rifle but could it be a worn op rod tab causing this,it look pretty worn compared to my M-1s.Sorry for the long post hope some one can help

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
My guess would be the trigger is locking up to tight. if you have another stock give that a try. The bolt rides over the hammer when cycling. it may be getting hung up on the hammer. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and yes I have tried my US military fiberglass stock and my wood stock, same thing. Plus I have tried it with no stock to get a better look at the problem. Only when I push down on the op rod handle does this happen. The op rod hump tilts out ward causing the bolt to come back crooked, it pushes the hammer more than half ways back just short of the sear and trigger hooks engaging and stops the bolt from going back any further. if you let up on the down ward pressure on op rod handle you can pull it all the way back. If this didn't cause a jam from time to time while shooting it would be no problem. Im thinking bad op rod or out of spec reciever , but Im doubtful about the reciever being out of spec. from all I've read about LRB recievers, their said to be about the best.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,099 Posts
Bolt problem

If your rifle was built by LRB, give them a call, 516-327-9061. I'm sure they will be happy to check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called them when I first fired the rilfe and this happen, they told me it might need to be broke in. After a few more times at the range and this happening one or more times each trip I put it away and continued shooting my Garands. I stop shooting for about a year now but want to start going to the range again and want to shoot the M-14 so I e-mailed LRB a week ago sunday, no reply back. So I thought I'd come here to see if anyone has heard of this problem before.Never had this happen with any of my Garands and its basically the same action, but Im no expert at trouble shooting these rifles. But I will give them a call again and thanks for the number.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
What are the tab measurements? Downward pressure is not normal during recoil. If it's coming out of the track that could be your tab. Best bet would do as Ted suggested. They will eventually get back to you. Ted knows these rifles better than 99.999% of the population.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Your tab should measure somewhere around .032x.033x.097-.100

If the receiver op rod channel is too large or out of spec, it could cause this.

Have you checked your bolt roller to make sure it isn't loose or broken, or the clip missing ?

Also check to see if the bolt is hanging up on the bolt stop during rearward travel.

Other than a broken hammer and hook pieces laying loose in there jamming it up, or out of spec receiver rail widths causing the bolt to crawfish, I would say also to call Lou back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anybody has the book [ The M14 Complete Assembly Guide] by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee, on page 66 bottom picture that looks like what mine is doing. It says it's either bearing pad on op rod handle is badly worn or its the reciever. Im going with bearing pads worn as mine shows a good bit of wear on the bottom. Any ideas on this,could this cause enough play in my bolt coming back to let it get caught on my hammer some how and stop the bolt from going back all the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can't check the specs. on the tap with the mic. I have. Will check with my brother inlaw tomorrow to see if he has some thing better. The bolt roller looks good, so does everthing else. Will call LRB tomorrow, see what they can tell me. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like something to check into thanks. It's on solid but Iv'e had this problem from day one. Wonder if it could have been put on just a little bit off and in combination with a worn op rod could be my problem. It looks to be centered and lines up with the piston. I guess a little off here and a little off there will add up. I'm going to start with a new op rod, if thats not it, can't hurt to have a spare. But now I have something else to look that could solve this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a call back from LRB, talk to Sean. Said he was sorry it took so long to get back to me, the S.H.O.T. show has been keeping them pretty busy last few weeks. I think everyone can understand that. Anyways he said to send them my M14 and if it was something covered under warranty they want to make it rite even if it means a new reciever. Cant beat that. I dont think it is the receiver, it looks to good. Workmenship is excellent, no marks as if a mistake was made in the CNC part of it and no one else seams to of had this problem but one and that was not because of reciever. Im sure LRB will take care of it, they seamed more than happy to do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my rifle back from LRB, looks good to go. Bolt is not hanging up any more when I cycle it by hand. Haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet but I'm pretty sure it won't hung up when fired. They fired 40 + rounds thru it before they sent it back to me. Was not told what was wrong, but op rod looks like a different one, may have been more to it than just that. Only cost was the shipping to them. All and all I'm very please with the service and the one on one time on the phone with them, good people. As soon as I can put enough money aside,which may be awhile Im going to order from them again. Very happy with them and their work

·
Registered
39 Posts
seems a first class organization would tell you what they found wrong, not trying to start a who's better argument, but all the reports of warranty work from SAI I have read on this forum includes the parts or adjustments needed to make it right.
But glad to hear it worked out for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No doubt if I asked for in writing what was done, they would.
As far as SAI,what can you say. From what I've read on the forum their costumer service is hard to beat. I had a reproduction M-1 Garand back in the early 80's and have two 1911 now by SAI, never had any problems with any of them so I've never had to use their costumer service. Knock on wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts