M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the heel supposed to be the bolt stop? Or rather, should the back of the bolt contact the heel wall?

I put some spotting blue on the heel to check interference. Hand cycled it a few times and can see marks on the heel, and radius at the back of the heel, and back of the bolt.

I then fired 20 rounds Canadian NATO 7.62 MilSurp

This is what it looks like:

Back of the bolt:

The horizontal interference with the top radius of the bolt I'm not so concerned with (maybe I should be), but that ding on the back of the bolt (10 O-clock in picture) that makes that big shiny spot on the vertical radius (to the left in the picture) is whats really got me concerned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wow, did the rx do that chip? That ain't supposed to be like that. One of our resident armorers will probably chime in on this, not even sure why I am

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be the way you're looking at the pic. There is no chip.

There is a shiny spot on the back of the bolt at 10 O-clock, just left of my finger, and also bluing at 6 O-clock (that's the TOP of the bolt)

The shiny spot of heel, left as pictured is where that ding on the rear bolt face mates up with the heel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any thoughts on side loading of the bolt striking that radius before it gets to the "flat" part of the heel?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You may want to check your operating rod spring length. A USGI spring is 16" in length when new. It compresses slightly with use. I replace mine every 1000 rounds to keep the gas system balanced.

You could try the Buffer Tech buffer. This is centered on the spring guide and stops rearward op rod travel. But it may interfere with functionality, you have to try it as each rifle and ammo combo is different.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's absolutely possible my spring could be worn out. It is spring that came with USGI kit. I'll order a replacement, as that makes good sense, even it it doesn't stop the interference. Just a good idea to know the status of the spring.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's absolutely possible my spring could be worn out. It is spring that came with USGI kit. I'll order a replacement, as that makes good sense, even it it doesn't stop the interference. Just a good idea to know the status of the spring.

Thanks!
I purchased my recent supply of op rod springs from ozark surplus.com. Each one measured 16" (have learned not every parts source is reputable). You may want to get a few, depends on how much you shoot.

I also recommend a Sadlak spring guide as this really smooths the bolt cycling. It is noticeably better!

Good luck with the tune-up and look forward to a range report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts