M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought Springfield armory socom today. I took it out decided in and the bolt sticks halfway to three quarters of the way back, even without the magazine in.
I took the trigger group out in the bolt slides back perfectly.
Do I need to fire the rifle more to break it in?
Put 60 rounds through it and it did seem to run better the more I fired it.
Had a few jams at first but then it ran fine.
But the bolt still gets hung up.
Just keep shooting it to break it in?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just bought Springfield armory socom today. I took it out decided in and the bolt sticks halfway to three quarters of the way back, even without the magazine in.
I took the trigger group out in the bolt slides back perfectly.
Do I need to fire the rifle more to break it in?
Put 60 rounds through it and it did seem to run better the more I fired it.
Had a few jams at first but then it ran fine.
But the bolt still gets hung up.
Just keep shooting it to break it in?
Has it been cleaned and lubed? I’d start there. grease in the right areas makes a big difference.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
What type ammo used? How tight is the op rod in its cycle? It should have some play sideways, not a lot but some.
If its lubed well and using good ammo, I would say choot it. Sounds like its breaking in already, though it really shouldnt have a sticky bolt.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Enlighten us - what kind of trigger cluster is in it? USGI or commercial?

Does the action having issues chambering a round? or retraction issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are not familiar with the M1/M14 type rifles the bolt will hang on the hammer in the way you describe if the weapon is new or recently parkerized. Lube and shoot it. It will break in after a 100 or so rounds.
First time owning one.
I believe that is what's happening, I was shooting match grade ammunition so definitely wasn't the ammo.
I believe it just needs to be broken in.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Not sure what others think, but I found it useful to take the gun out of stock, remove op rod spring (without letting it go flying), and slowly slide op rod back while watching the bolt to get a sense of what is happening when I pull on the op rod, etc. same with trigger group just to visualize what is happening during cycling. That way, when I felt a snag or resistance I had some basic idea of what might be causing it.

The video above also helped.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,483 Posts
On a unloaded rifle squeeze the trigger and pull the bolt back, The disconector will hold the hammer down a bit, keep pressure on the trigger and pull the bolt back again, It should not hang now. this how it works when you fire the rifle so you will not notice it.
Put a little grease on the bottom of the bolt and the top of the hammer where the bolt rubs on it when charging and shoot a few mags and it should smooth up.

eQ

·
Registered
Built Socom 16
60 Posts
My Socom's oprod was rubbing pretty badly on the barrel and scout mount. It took some re-profiling to make it better. Some touching is normal, this was egregious, I'd be on the lookout there (although the trigger group shouldn't affect that).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Itt still sticks if I pull back and let go slowly off the charging handle. When I pull back on the charging handle then let it go immediately it operates like it should.
I took it out yesterday and had no problems.
Just needs to be worn in I think.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Never ride the operating rod forward. It will cause feeding issues. The rifle was designed for the oprod to be pulled fully to the rear and released.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Common problem with new operators.

Reactions: KurtC and nf1e
1 - 14 of 14 Posts