M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an issue maybe one of you can help me with. The bolt in one of my M1's with a round in the chamber is very difficult to move, ie I can not operate the op-rod and eject said round from the chamber if I have to with out exerting alot of force on the op-rod via the various remedial actions. What gives?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thats a good place to start. Is this a fired round?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I guess that you are talking about an unfired round...
Reloads? or new ammo?
Can you slowly each the bolt forward and 'snap' it closed with moderate thumb pressure on the oprod?

If reloads, you might not be FL re-sizing enough, and have too much cartridge headspace.
The power of the bolt closing with full spring force can successfully close the bolt, but can also tightly jam the bolt and case tight in the chamber - that would cause difficult bolt opening.
There should be a little clearance (about .002inch) when the bolt is closed to allow for good functioning.

Also, remove the oprod and inspect the cam hump in the oprod for damage, and also inspect the bolt lug.
I grease the cam hump with a glob of grease on a Q-tip - just ease the oprod back slighty to get enough room for the Q-tip.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love this forum, the rifle passes the tilt test. The condition occurs with a new un-fired round in the chamber. It could be the 1st round, 3rd, etc. I am using old greek rounds that appear clean. The op-rod can not be moved at all as the bolt is "stuck" upon firing the rifle ejects spent casings with out issues and chambers the next one with out issue.

Ill try to clean the chamber better, paying close attention to the outside wall before the chamber necks down for the ogive.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Any stiffness/resistance getting the bolt to close fully on a loaded round of M2 ball? CMP rifle? Has it been rebarreled that you know of? At least clean the chamber and you probably oughtta get the headspace checked.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any stiffness/resistance getting the bolt to close fully on a loaded round of M2 ball? CMP rifle? Has it been rebarreled that you know of? At least clean the chamber and you probably oughtta get the headspace checked.
Nope no stiffness, the rifle is a sa correct grade from cmp. The barrel and receiver both date 1955 so i doubt cmp re-barreled it. Ill clean the chamber real well and report back.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Look over your fired cases and primers for any unusual swelling, cratering, backing out, signs of excessive pressure. If that's a ~ 5.8 Mil (1955) SA Correct Grade it could have been a NG Armory queen from the day it was shipped, rarely ever shot, needs breaking in. Grease 'er up good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may try a different grease. I tried "Super Lube" synthetic from the hardware store and had to thump on the handle with a 2x4 to get it open. Bearing grease worked much better........
Rick

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Look over your fired cases and primers for any unusual swelling, cratering, backing out, signs of excessive pressure. If that's a ~ 5.8 Mil (1955) SA Correct Grade it could have been a NG Armory queen from the day it was shipped, rarely ever shot, needs breaking in. Grease 'er up good.
Wow spot on!!! The rifle for sure looks like it sat in a armory some where, and no import marks. All SA!!

Here she is.

http://www.postimage.org/

http://www.postimage.org/

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good advice on checking with another brand of Ball ammo. I have some HXP that measures .003 OVER a Forester GO head space gauge. I noticed that the stripped bolt was not closing into battery on several rounds of HXP. I checked the GO gauge in my RCBS precision mic. Then I checked the HXP and found that they were the .003 over the GO gauge.

Whats the implication? If you have a "tight" chamber closer to the min (the Go gauge) and you have some rounds over spec, your bolt/oprod will slam them into the chamber, resizing them to fit along the way. This could cause the loaded rounds to be tough to eject. (not to mention the possibility of a slam-fire or OOB firing).

Check with some USGI ball or even some other commercial brand and see how well they eject when loaded.

Food for thought....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts