M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimmed it up, lubed, got it all back together but torquing the gas plug.

Problem: bolt rotates off the lugs, then about 1/2" from the lugs as it come rearward, the bolt hits something in the trigger, I can feel in it my finger and see the trigger move as the bolt stops. Pull the trigger and hold it, the bolt comes back smooth and continues to be smooth back and forth until dry fire and then bolt rotates off the lugs 1/2" and then sticks again.

HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH, I pulled the trigger out and cycled the bolt back and forth operates smooth. Trigger group back in and with same problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the trigger group again, removed the stock, placed the trigger group in the action and the rear of the bolt hits on the hammer face.

Then a little piece of hard clear white plastic with threads fell out into the floor from around the hammer face.

Totally not happy!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plastic thing was a bead from the wife's crafts, think was just there, nothing to it. Old eyes needed high magnification to identify what it was.

Guess I will call SAI tomorrow and see if they can help...or send it to them.

·
"Death From Above"
11,896 Posts
The bolt is supposed to hit the hammer. That's how it resets the hammer. As far as the bolt getting stuck try cycling the action but don't put any outward pressure on the op rod handle. Actually push it in towards the receiver.
Don't feel bad when I got my first one I hear something slipping back and forth and thought it was fubar. Silly me, it turns out it was the piston in the gas cylinder. Yup I was a newbie four years ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, makes sense, something has to reset the trigger / sear but not sure it hit or stuck like this before breaking it all down but its been over a month since I had my hands on it. It takes a good amount of force rearward on the bolt handle to get over the hammer hump and just feels very different from what I remember.

Thanks again and see what happens

·
"Death From Above"
11,896 Posts
It's normal during normal cycling under action you won't even notice it. If this is a SAI rifle with a SAI bolt keep an eye on the back of the bolt where it contacts the hammer. I had one that got pretty banged up in that area because the bolt was not heat treated properly. It mushroomed over within a few hundred rounds. Not saying this is going to happen to yours so don't get alarmed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the shop today and tested out boxed M1A, same thing only worse...very dry.

Cannot believe I did not notice it before but....

Now to test it all out.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
That sounds normal to me. The bolt is supposed to ride over the hump of the hammer. Put a little grease on the hammer where it rides on and it should smooth up a bit.

Check the back of your bolt and make sure its not getting deformed, chipped or something worse. Something like that could cause the action to feel worse.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sounds like he went to a gun shop that had some new M1-A's and asked to fondle them. I think he is saying that the new guns feel just like his only worse and he is surprised that he didn't notice it before.

When the OP started this thread he mentioned just finished shimming, except tightning the gas plug. It seems to me that he was worried that the work he had done had caused a new problem. His awareness level was up too high. I think most of us have "been there done that" at some point.

Sorry 45.308, but I really enjoyed the part about discovering the wifes craft goods were not involved much more than I should have. You must have been wound up kinda tight when that transpired. GI1 I'm surprised you didn't shoot it. GI1

Sorry to say I have no idea what your trying to convey.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Memphis, you hit the nail.

Confidence in my SOCOM is not all that high....still trying to learn the platform....its different with more moving parts and special love than I am use to.

First time cycling the bolt I felt the hammer hump, whats up, did I put the bolt in wrong so....I was full of not happy when I pulled the trigger group out and found a little white plastic bead thingy sitting on top of the hammer in the grease. Had no idea where it came from thinking, you have to be joking, SAI installed plastic in the trigger group. It was the threaded center of the bead that made me lose my mind at SAI. With the bolt having some extra friction there, happy meter was pegged and bending the needle.

So to decrease the amp on my happy meter, went and tested out of the box M1A and the bolt was very very sticky and gritty comparing.

I had my SOCOM by the TV watching football near the wife's craft table and the wife was doing her crafts, a little bead decided it wanted to leave home and jumped, it now has a new home...it been ghosted!

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Now that your issue has been resolved I hope you will not mind me sharing a story on myself.
My first M1-A is an older Springfield Scout that I bought very well used. After I had decided that I was going to build some rifles and accumulated some parts I swapped the gas cyl. and some other stuff onto the scout just to see what effect it would have. When I got to the range the rifle would not cycle. After a while of checking things, oiling, and greasing everything in sight I decided that I must have done something wrong to the rifle. I totaly lost confidence in myself. I finally figured out that I forgot to turn the spindle valve on the gas cyl "on". ICONREDFAC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.