M14 Forum banner

Bolt Spare

1041 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  panther308
Okay Guys have a couple questions and not sure where to post, Sent my rifle to SA to have some work done and it came back with my old parts and now I have a bolt body that I was thinking about getting this for http://www.treelinem14.com/M14-M1A-Bolt-Guts-Bundle-Chrome-FP-M14BCBU762.htm so I could have a spare, I had heard that SA does not lap their bolts.
Also I have the original 22" bbl and flash hider w\out castle nut that I am thinking I could sell if it has any value and if I can what would a resonable offer be for the used parts.

Thanks
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
If you want a spare bolt, go ahead and get one, but I wouldn't lap it until you see that the original one is worn (that should take you a good 15 years and a few barrels). Once it's worn, then lap it in when you do a barrel change.

I would rather have a spare barrel, trigger group, bolt guts and op-rod. As long as the bolt you have now was not a recalled one, there's no reason to change it. And since it was already at SAI, I'd venture to say that if it were a recalled bolt, it would have been caught while it was there.

I don't know if SAI laps their bolts or not.

But this is a free country and you should make the rifle into what you want to. If it bugs you to have a SAI bolt in there, then get rid of it. There's no point in owning something if you can't change it how you want it. Just because it's not necessary doesn't mean you shouldn't do it and nobody should ridicule you for doing what you want; especially if it's not a safety concern.

I would say a fair value on a take-off barrel would be about $150. If the flash hider is GI, then maybe $75-$100. If it's commercial, then $35-$50.

Tony.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want a spare bolt, go ahead and get one, but I wouldn't lap it until you see that the original one is worn (that should take you a good 15 years and a few barrels). Once it's worn, then lap it in when you do a barrel change.

I would rather have a spare barrel, trigger group, bolt guts and op-rod. As long as the bolt you have now was not a recalled one, there's no reason to change it. And since it was already at SAI, I'd venture to say that if it were a recalled bolt, it would have been caught while it was there.

I don't know if SAI laps their bolts or not.

But this is a free country and you should make the rifle into what you want to. If it bugs you to have a SAI bolt in there, then get rid of it. There's no point in owning something if you can't change it how you want it. Just because it's not necessary doesn't mean you shouldn't do it and nobody should ridicule you for doing what you want; especially if it's not a safety concern.

I would say a fair value on a take-off barrel would be about $150. If the flash hider is GI, then maybe $75-$100. If it's commercial, then $35-$50.

Tony.
Tony,

Both bolts are from SA and I am sure they are not USGI and thats ok my plan was going to be to swap my original bolt guts back to the original bolt body and then order the kit above to bebuild the new body and just have it as a spare but I am not sure if there is any HS concerns, I did put the stripped body in and cycle it and it cycles fine but I don't have any HS gages so not sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.