M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden the bolt is releasing when a empty magazine is removed. What could be causing this?

LRB M25 w/USGI parts

Thanks

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Some magazine followers barely "set" the bolt catch so the slightest movement sends that mousetrap home. Have you recently changed magazines. Also the poor little bolt stop does wear out. Look at the corner where it catches the bolt. It started life as a square. The same magazine issues will cause the catch to die early.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some magazine followers barely "set" the bolt catch so the slightest movement sends that mousetrap home. Have you recently changed magazines. Also the poor little bolt stop does wear out. Look at the corner where it catches the bolt. It started life as a square. The same magazine issues will cause the catch to die early.

Thanks I'll try another magazine. I have been using the same one for load development for awhile now.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Here is an example of followers not created equal. The one on the right works every time, the on the left does not engage the bolt stop enough to positively hold the bolt. The one on the left is a new manufacture to "USGI spec" and company is apparently a government supplier.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
The first and only time i ever got garand thumb was from single loading my m1a with a magazine like the one one the left.
Same here... problem the follower like the one on the right are nowhere to be found. There are "USGI" followers for sale out there, but nowhere near like the same.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Test your magazine followers

Bamban showed me this technique in choosing magazines for rapid fire. Take your rifle, close the bolt, insert a magazine, rack the bolt. That little tip on the left edge of the follower (refer to the mag on the right in his post) is what will push the bolt stop up. The more it pushes up and left to rotate the bolt stop upwards, the better the bolt stop locks the bolt.

Also, MemphisMachinists gives you an easy item to check. That little bolt stop face will wear and develop a very slight curved, shiny surface. Then its time to replace it before it bites you.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
If you can manually lock the bolt back without a magazine in the rifle, then it is the follower.

If you can't manually lock the bolt back without a magazine in the rifle, then it is the bolt stop.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had the same issue when not using USGI mags on a new match build, all GI parts on a Fulton rear lugged receiver. It's not the rifle. I only use proven GI mags in this rifle now. The new commercial GI-equivalent mags Bamban mentions do not all work in it. No problems with them in the SAI though. As others have mentioned it's the follower not completely pushing up the bolt catch.

Eagle 1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts