M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this abnormal wear on a brand spanking new rifle? It looks battered on the rounded portion's edge behind the extractor. I'm tempted to send it back to Springfield. There was a big burr on the side of the bolt also that needed some filing, other than that it's awesome. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have similar wear patterns on the bolt of my 4 month old Scout. Mine functions and cycles fine as well. It looks pretty normal to me.

I would be more concerned about the "burr" you mentioned. The need to file a bolt would be of concern to me.

There is no harm in contacting Springfield and asking them. The good thing here is that they have an excellent warranty.

HTH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was on very edge about halfway down on the left side, not sure what would have caused it. I thought that area didn't make contact with anything in the receiver.

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
When the bolt retracts to the rear, the top and bottom contact the receiver in order to make sure it is perfectly aligned with the center of the magazine. Otherwise, it would be relying solely on the lugs and malfunctions will occur.

Take your bolt out and look back into the receiver, you'll see what i mean. You can put a dab of Lubriplate on the top and bottom of this "bridge."

Read this: https://archive.org/stream/FM23-81968#page/n0/mode/2up

Watch this. It's the best 27 minutes you can spend with your clothes on:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67xXyEG9D4[/ame]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Here is a picture underneath the bolt, the burr is to the right of the code stamp on the edge. Sorry, it won't let me post high resolution photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.