M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks, The bolt doesn't quite close completely with a mag in it. closes fine with no mag. it hits some resistance as bolt lugs are closing. in that almost closed position if I push down on top rear of bolt it closes right up. also bolt release looks a little weird like the spring is at an angle. may have something to do with it. I'm getting some pics together now. pic shows bolt not quite closed. thanks and I'm From PA Carlisle area

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bolt not closing

in this case I eased it down but was happening while running the gun. Bolt would not quite close and had to push it closed. Three different mags two brands. variety of ammo. seems to catch at rear of bolt underneath. if I push down on rear of bolt it instantly shuts. I'm gonna lube it up and give it another run tomorrow. I tried to post video but cant. Ill let you know how I make out
Thnks

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
When you say "while running the gun" does that mean you're at the range and actually shooting the rifle? or you mean you're just cycling the action with your hands?

The oprod spring could be very weak and needs a new one. possible that the bolt is dragging on the mag as well or a combo bad spring and dragging.

Use dry erase marker on the bolt or mag to test. Also do a tilt test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say "while running the gun" does that mean you're at the range and actually shooting the rifle? or you mean you're just cycling the action with your hands?

The oprod spring could be very weak and needs a new one. possible that the bolt is dragging on the mag as well or a combo bad spring and dragging.

Use dry erase marker on the bolt or mag to test. Also do a tilt test.
Yeah running the rifle, at the range with live ammo. The bolt is dragging. I think lubing and another day at the range like nf1e said is in order. I'm gonna load some brass with a little more umph to compare with other Amax and factory ammo take the chrono and get to work on what this rifle likes. Its new in box so is tight I assume. I needed some assurance I'm headed in the right direction. I have a lot of experience but this is my first M1A. Whats a good reference book? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
These areas should all have a little grease on them -
Bottom of bolt
Entire edge of rear of bolt
The top and sides of the rear of the receiver
The bolt lugs and 'raceways' in the receiver
Pretty much everywhere there is metal-on-metal rubbing

Also check the top of the mag lips for roughness or burrs.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bolt not closing

These areas should all have a little grease on them -
Bottom of bolt
Entire edge of rear of bolt
The top and sides of the rear of the receiver
The bolt lugs and 'raceways' in the receiver
Pretty much everywhere there is metal-on-metal rubbing

Also check the top of the mag lips for roughness or burrs.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Yes looked a little too dry.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Maybe consider watching Tonybens videos on this sight or youtube. They sure helped me figure out what to grease and what not too. Some parts you are better off oiling. When my rifle was new it was caked with grease. But I have seen new ones in stores that where dry as a bone. The only part on my rifle that wasn't greased was the bolt roller, it was completely dry.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
First check to make sure the pin that holds the "stripper clip guide" is not protruding thru the bottom of the receiver. It does not need to protrude very far into the receiver to cause the bolt to hang up. The pin will catch on the top rear of the bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bolt not closing

Maybe consider watching Tonybens videos on this sight or youtube. They sure helped me figure out what to grease and what not too. Some parts you are better off oiling. When my rifle was new it was caked with grease. But I have seen new ones in stores that where dry as a bone. The only part on my rifle that wasn't greased was the bolt roller, it was completely dry.
Went and watched Tony Ben's video's. helped a lot. girlfriend works at a distribution plant and brings home goodies, so I have tons of that grease he uses in video.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I doubt grease will fix that.

IMHO sending it back for warranty work might be your best option.

First check to make sure the pin that holds the "stripper clip guide" is not protruding thru the bottom of the receiver. It does not need to protrude very far into the receiver to cause the bolt to hang up. The pin will catch on the top rear of the bolt.
That would make sense because he "fixes" it by pushing down on the bolt itself. I also wonder if it has something to do with the bolt catch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.