M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recall hearing anything about bolt lug lapping in regards to the M1 Garand Match Rifles of yesteryear? My first experience in lug lapping resulted from screwing in an almost new USGI NM M14 barrel into a Devine Rec. recently purchased, this was a long time ago. Only to discovering a stripped USGI M14 bolt would not close on the Match M118 rounds. Worse yet, this discovery was made after the rifle, Match grade, was completed.. Bill Donovan, the best Marine Armorer of all time, suggested a pull through reamer, great, what are they and who has one? Well, it just became worst from that point..

It may result in an argument, but bolt lug lapping is consistent with the Commercial M1A receivers not the M14's or M1 Garands.. The "Primary" purpose of lug lapping, as it pertains to the Commercial M1A, is for safety .. All the other benefits or non- benefits in some cases, were "Secondary",, most of which were a surprise.

M1A bolt Lapping can produce some good things and some bad things but never both. having said that, I welcome your response. Art

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yes Art, I repeatedly see warnings of using lug lapping as a means with which to set headspace, and more post stating that it "was" the method used.... Even used by armorers.......when push comes to shove, and the chrome lined barrel is the norm, I guess you haven't any choice really....if you wish to stay within the financial confines of a so called budget.

In reply, No, I have never heard of anyone lapping the lugs on an M1 or a real M14......Maybe Ted has on his, just to get good contact....then again, it probably already had good contact from day one.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I can't say about yesteryear but my Unlimited 308 Garand and my CMP match rifles have had their lugs lapped.
The pull through reamer is SOP here also.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My understanding is that 'lug lapping' is done to give more (and even) bearing surface contact - not to adjust headspace.

With non-chrome barrels, using a 'finish reamer' would be the way to increase HS.

With a chrome-plated chamber, bolt swapping would be the method of choice to achieve good HS.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's my feeling also

My understanding is that 'lug lapping' is done to give more (and even) bearing surface contact - not to adjust headspace.

With non-chrome barrels, using a 'finish reamer' would be the way to increase HS.

With a chrome-plated chamber, bolt swapping would be the method of choice to achieve good HS.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Not that lapping is a bad method to get additional HS, providing it is a small amount.. Jay has given good advice about bolt swapping, that is almost impossible today given the cost of bolts however. Also the M14 bolts unlike the M1 bolts are very close in specs, but it can and has been done...

Bolt lapping is with us, all that venture into using it make certain you read up on the subject before jumping into making a mess of your rifle. art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts