M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and my bolt would not lock to the rear after firing. I was shooting single load. my mags are C Products. They lock to the rear every time I pull it back. I was shooting reloads that are pretty hot 21.5 RL 7 and a 55V-Max.
Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like ammo. When you say hot ,did you chrono? Maybe not overcoming the buffer spring?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did crono

2900 fps average.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
In the gas system and moving parts... starting from the barrel gas port, gas block, gas tube etc all the way thru the BCG, buffer tube, and buffer.... How many non-standard non-USGI parts are you running?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Hmmm, so as far as we know it's a milspec buffer and spring?

Sounds like it's short stroking. Might just be a combination of your powder choice and the rifle needing a little breaking in.

Took a quick look at the Sierra manual and they show 2900 as the max you can get with RE-7 and a 55gr, which tells me it might not be the best choice for the .223. Might not be getting enough pressure at the gas port, and the rifle might need some breaking in...

The quickest and easiest way to rule out powder and pressure questions is just buy a box of Federal XM193 or XM855. Try Midway. One box will immediately tell you whether the problem is in the rifle or your handloads. GI6

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The quickest and easiest way to rule out powder and pressure questions is just buy a box of Federal XM193 or XM855. Try Midway. One box will immediately tell you whether the problem is in the rifle or your handloads. GI6
+1; The first step in troubleshooting functioning problems with reloads is to try factory ammo. I assume the rifle is clean and properly lubed.

Next step is to try different mags, but that doesn't sound like the problem.

I'm betting that it's either caused by ammo or an improperly staked bolt carrier key allowing excessive gas leakage.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Took a quick look at the Sierra manual and they show 2900 as the max you can get with RE-7 and a 55gr, which tells me it might not be the best choice for the .223. Might not be getting enough pressure at the gas port, and the rifle might need some breaking in...
That would be my guess.

I always take a box of factory ammo when I am developing a load... it gives me a standard for velocity, lets me know if the chrono is reading correctly and allows me to see if the firearm is working properly and is sighted in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that you mention it

I have only fired a few rounds, and now that you mention it the Hornady shot fine, I fired a few silver bear and had 2 fail to chamber the next round. I have read that silver bear is under powered. I was using the Sierra AR reloading manual and it was there most accurate load for the 55gr over RL 7, and max load. I just never figured it would be max load and not have enough gas to cycle.
The next load I am testing is with H335 we will see how that does. I will bring extra mags and some AE 223 ammo to shoot after if I have the same problem. The downer is I won't get back out till next Sat. Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated.DI5
Arty Fo OUT

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Off early

Ok so I got off early and went to the range. Switched to my reloads that were using H335 and the 55gr A-Max.
All is better I only had 1 fail to cycle with a light load. I also tried a couple I had loaded with 69SMK with 25gr of Varget cycled great group was not great.DI5

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
H335, Varget and RL15 are all good .223 powders. Varget is alot less temperature sensitive and is my go to powder for 600 yard loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts