M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the SAI manual says do not take apart the bolt. The manual also is really lacking. Anyone "not" take apart their bolt? Is the bolt takedown tool any good from Brownells?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not really necessary for disassembly but essential for reassembly, unless you have a couple extra arms

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a bolt tool from the M14 Doctor, ( google will be your friend for his web page ). It works great and is an excellent piece of kit. $100 though, but I like tools. He has an excellent demonstration of the tool on you tube.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Bolt tool

I use a 30-06 case.

Works every time.

I have a handful of them. On in the range box, tool kit, glove compartment, medicine cabinet, shaving kit etc.

Basic & it works.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
279 Posts
A GI bolt combo tool work just fine to take apart and put back together the M14 bold it's not required to have extra arms.. just a bit of practice and a little hand strength.. B2B

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I picked up the reproduction gi tool that LRB makes. It has worked well everytime for me. One thing to consider when using the gi type tool is that the hole in the SAI extractor may give you a bit of trouble when removing the extractor. They spring and pins get a little stuck. Gi ones pop right out.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have never had any problem using the GI combo tool. Maybe just takes a little practice but works fine.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My bolt works since 25 years without disassembly. Once and a while I flush it with break cleaner and reoil it. No probs whatsoever.
Wolf

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
So the SAI manual says do not take apart the bolt. The manual also is really lacking. Anyone "not" take apart their bolt? Is the bolt takedown tool any good from Brownells?
Put a 30-06 case in under your extractor claw and depress it straight, pushing it down on the ejector, ..slide the bolt shut on it, in the chamber,...wrap a rag across the top of the rifle, or a few scott towels...to catch the flying springs.....turn rifle upside down and take a punch and drive the extractor out from the bottom to the top, or use the combo tool or screwdriver from the top to pry it up, the punch works best on the SAI ones.

Reassembly is a little trickier....I have a cut-off case head fitted into the side of the workbench about waste high....just drill a hole that size and tap it in there, it will stay pretty tight...Put the firing pin, and ejector in place and get the right size punch that fits the extractor hole ready, Put your wrist against your hip for support and push in on the ejector with the case head, when it is down, slide to punch up from the bottom into the hole enough to hold it, then relax and ease off....then work the punch carefully down enough to start extractor in the hole, replace extractor plunger and spring, then extractor....get your channel locks and a piece of leather, drape the leather piece over and under the bolt top and bottom, rest the punch on your leg, grab the top of extractor and bottom of the bolt with the channel locks...adjusted out enough to fit and allow enough to squeeze,...then sharply and quickly, clamp down hard and fast on the channel locks, it will push the extractor into place and push the punch out the bottom....ready for the range again.....I call this the country boy way.....others call it something else....like the ******* way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts