M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am kinda wondering if this might work with salt water from the ocean. Living near the Pacific Ocean I have considered how to separate the salt from the water to make it drinkable. I know the Lewis and Clark Expedition boiled salt water to make salt in order to prepare for the trip back home in 1806.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I am kinda wondering if this might work with salt water from the ocean. Living near the Pacific Ocean I have considered how to separate the salt from the water to make it drinkable. I know the Lewis and Clark Expedition boiled salt water to make salt in order to prepare for the trip back home in 1806.
a typical still works on salt water however, drinking distilled water isnt good for you. you can live off of it for a while but it will kill you in the long run. the process removes all the vitamins and minerals in water...

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
There are some Moonshine Copper Type Kits on the Internet. Are these the same for converting salt water?
they work ecactly the same. basically converts liquid to steam, the steam heads to the condensor (coiled copper tube) and condenses back to pure water minus salt/vitamins/minerals. its best to use stainless steel rather than aluminum for stills tho'. no need to get a specialized still, you can use the one hawk showed in his link. just drill a hole in the top and add brass fittings like what your fridges' waterline uses and coil it. look on youtube...
in this video pay no attention to what hes making but to his still. salt water can be used...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-nGbAf81Zs[/ame]

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
a typical still works on salt water however, drinking distilled water isnt good for you. you can live off of it for a while but it will kill you in the long run. the process removes all the vitamins and minerals in water...
True, but it will keep you alive for awhile. And won't kill you as fast as drinking ocean water.
So put a bit of salt back in- you'll have plenty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Distilled water does not kill you

I have been in the Navy or Merchant marine since 1975.

Almost all water on a blue water ship comes from a distiller.
I have run every type from old solo shell to vapor compression with the majority being Nirex style single stage
plate type.

I have lived on it for many months at a time. About half my life since then.

Every once in a while the evaporator fails or there is a boiler tube leak on the old ships and we have to buy water in port. Everyone screams since it tastes so bad.
Could there be a problem from drinking distilled for years and years? Perhaps, but 6 months is nothing.

You get enough minerals and salts from the rest of your food.
If you are concerned put a few drops of boiled saltwater in like another poster mentioned.

Please post a link if you have better information.

Joe

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Every summer we have marines go down from drinking distilled water for the harriers. Correct me if I'm wrong but ships use reverse osmosis don't they? Thats something completely different than distilling. The big companies that sell water put additives back in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
...drinking distilled water isnt good for you. you can live off of it for a while but it will kill you in the long run. the process removes all the vitamins and minerals in water...
True, distilling removes most everything from water but drinking it won't kill you or harm you.

No one is going to live in even the medium term (past about 4 weeks) without some form of food...and food contains vitamins and minerals (plus calories, proteins, etc.) So once you are eating a decent diet it is unlikely that distilled water is going to have any detrimental effect unless the only source of a key vitamin or mineral will be your un-distilled water - which is unlikely.

Salt is salt. If you need it, drinking salt water or eating the solid form makes no difference.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Its the percent of salt in ocean water that is the problem. If I recall correctly, the human body wants or is 9% salt & ocean water is 35% salt.

EDIT: Had to look it up & ocean water is 3.5% & human body 0.9%.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Isn't rain water "distilled" water? I'm no doctor but it does sound odd that such pure water (minus the acid rain, etc) would be harmful.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked it up & there are 10 ways too much salt are harmful to you. A rule of survival is you don't eat unless you have water. Eating a variety of foods should make up for the distilled water. Iodized salt would be quite handy. Most meats have a fair amount of salt in the muscle.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nothing wrong with distilled water.

If you think all those mineral/vitamins are coming from the tap/stream you are WRONG. You will get things like scurvy and rickets.

Most come from FOOD. What do you eat?

Well vit. D if you have basic building blocks and stay in sunlight, it comes free.

Better to have a stash of multi-vitamin plus minerals for SHTF.

Plan on being a little FAT. With water and vitamins and minerals you will last a few months with NO food.

A 100 count of multi-vitamins and minerals will get you through a year. Are they in your PREPS???

P.S. for water I have a well, nearby spring, nearby brook, rain storage.

Filtration , both small (virus) and large (bacteria).

Bleach and pool shock.

A still used mostly for fermented things.

Means to boil (wood stove, propane, white gas, diesel/heating oil, outside by the fire....)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts