M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., moved closer to beginning a contempt-of-Congress process against Attorney General Eric Holder, Speaker of the House John Boehner, R-Ohio, reaffirmed his strong support of the investigation of the Department of Justice gun-tracing operation known as “Fast and Furious.”

Issa spokesman Michael Steel rebuffed rumors that circulated during the recent Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington claiming Boehner had learned from his time as a young congressman under then-Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich that it is unwise for a Republican majority in the House to oppose a sitting Democratic Party president.

“Such speculation is absurd and untrue,” Steel told WND in an email.

Boehner confirmed as much, himself, today at a news conference.

The speaker was asked by a reporter if he would support the more than 100 members of the House who have called for Holder to resign and bring a proposed resolution of no confidence to the House floor.

“I think Chairman Issa and the members of the committee have done a very good job of investigating this abuse of government power, and I continue to support their efforts and believe that this Justice Department must be held accountable,” Boehner said.

Under Fast and Furious, the Obama administration allowed weapons to be sold to suspected Mexican drug operatives so they could be traced to the higher echelons of the cartels. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which ran the operation, lost track of hundreds of weapons, and many have been linked to crimes, including the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

On Tuesday, Issa sent a letter to Holder complaining that the Justice Department’s request of an extension for completing its document production on Fast and Furious “demonstrates a lack of good faith” and a Department of Justice “more concerned with protecting its image through spin control than actually cooperating with Congress.”

Issa explained to Holder that the committee is determined to know what happened and how the Justice Department responded when it was publicly confronted with evidence of reckless conduct after the murder of Terry.

“If the Justice Department cannot commit to providing, at a minimum, a detailed description of documents it is withholding, and the legal basis for doing so, then the committee has no other option than to move forward with the contempt process against Attorney General Holder,” Issa wrote.

Issa’s letter outlined the following unanswered questions about how the Justice Department handled Fast and Furious revelations:
http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/boehner-supports-fast-and-furious-investigation/

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Darrel Issa rocks, he's A rated by the NRA. He is a real conservative on gun issues here in a sea of RINOs and Libs in CA. I hope he sticks it to 'em good.
m14brian

·
Registered
635 Posts
That POS Holder makes me want puke evertime I see him on TV. You would think that if he is the Chief Law Enforcment guy in the country he wouild cooperate with the investigation. OH that's right he probably knew about it and probably OK'd it in the first place. Hims don't wanna go ta jail or lose hims job.DI4

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Just to refresh people's minds. Holder flat out lied about Project Gun Runner/ Fast and Furious. So did Obama. They both knew about it because it was funded in Obama's Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Holder in a speech in Mexico, Apr. 2009
http://www.justice.gov/ag/speeches/2009/ag-speech-090402.html

the development of an arms trafficking prosecution and enforcement strategy on both sides of the border.
On our side, Secretary Napolitano and I are committed to putting the resources in place to increase our attack on arms trafficking into Mexico.
Last week, our administration launched a major new effort to break the backs of the cartels. My department is committing 100 new ATF personnel to the Southwest border in the next 100 days to supplement our ongoing Project Gunrunner, DEA is adding 16 new positions on the border, as well as mobile enforcement teams, and the FBI is creating a new intelligence group focusing on kidnapping and extortion. DHS is making similar commitments, as Secretary Napolitano will detail.

And Obama's complicity is proven by his having taken credit for having been responsible for H.R.1 - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1/text?version=enr&nid=t0:enr:232t

Under the bill's heading; "OFFICE OF JUSTICE PROGRAMS,
STATE AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ASSISTANCE"
For an additional amount for ‘State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance’, $40,000,000, for competitive grants to provide assistance and equipment to local law enforcement along the Southern border and in High-Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas to combat criminal narcotics activity stemming from the Southern border, of which $10,000,000 shall be transferred to ‘Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Salaries and Expenses’ for the ATF Project Gunrunner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.