M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://biggeekdad.com/2011/02/bob-hope-christmas/

Bob Hope Christmas

Bob Hope was without a doubt one of the greatest entertainers of all time. A wonderful look at some special moments Bob spent with the troops during his many Christmas performances. Thank You to all the Veterans that ever spent a Christmas away from their family and to Bob Hope for spending his Christmas with the troops.

Enjoy and please pass it along to the other vets in your mail box for their trip down memory lane...

7th

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Saw Bob Hope and his USO troupe including the beautiful Miss Ann-Margret 45 years ago aboard the USS Hancock (CVA 19) on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin. A great show and one that I'll always remember.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I saw Bob Hope with his entourage in Korea for Christmas of 1968. I will never forget it.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
No Dis-respect to Bob Hope at all...

But...In my 14 Months with 2nd Bn, 7th Cav, 1st Cav Div in RVN '68-'69...I Never Saw Even One USO Show...much less Bob Hope!

(ok, I did sneak into a couple of other Division's NCO Clubs and saw some other nationalties attempting to sing Wok 'n' Woll...but hey!)

Again, No Disrespect---Bob Hope did USO Shows in many wars on many Continents for DECADES! And I DO Respect That!
But when 'VIT NAAM'(as LBJ used to pronounce it)comes up in conversation...and people do ask...So, Did You See BOB HOPE!
And I Say...Well, No............

I really think they don't believe I WAS THERE!

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: Seventh Fleet

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I loved Bob Hope. An old Marine buddy of mine had some great stories about the USO shows he saw during his time in the PTO during the war. He swears Dinah Shore had a huge smile on her face when she saw him walking back to his hootch stark naked after swimming in the ocean.

Quick funny story about Bob Hope. Towards the end of his life, there were many rumors in Hollywood that he had passed away. One morning when he was having breakfast with his wife, he heard a bunch of helicopters above his house and was wondering what the fuss was. His wife commented that another rumor about his death was being floated around and he looked at her and said, "Well, they got that wrong again.... uh.... didn't they?"

·
Registered
104 Posts
That bit where he brought the pictures of Sp4 O'Connell's (?) twins out and gave them to him was probably one of the highlights of that whole video.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They had us scheduled to see a Bob Hope show during my third tour in 65 but a sked change came across the teletype and nixed it for us. Talk about a bunch of disappointed and really pissed off Sailors! The brass tried to make it up to us by giving us two R&R's in the same tour, one to Hong Kong and the other to Kaohsiung Formosa but we were still bitter about not getting to see Bob. :(

7th

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Bob Hope was one of a kind. While I wasn't in service during Vietnam, I watched all of his TV Christmas specials especially the USO shows. His 1970 and 1971 USO Christmas shows are two of the Top 46 primetime telrcasts with each having over 60% of viewers nationwide.

Bob Hope's first USO show was May 6, 1941 at March Field, CA. His last tour was his Christmas tour 1990-1991 for troops during Desert Shield/Storm. During his 50 years of touring for the USO, he headlined 57 tours during WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, US forces in the Gulf during the Iraq/Iran war and Desert Shield-Desert Storm. In 1997, by an Act of Congress, Bob Hope was awarded an Honorary Veteran; the only civilian so honored.

Rest in peace Bob, you made many laugh during hard times, brought a touch of home to foreign lands and honored our servicemembers. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
He was a GREAT man and human being. Growing up in the 60's as a kid and having 2 brothers in Nam, I remember his USO shows on TV. There will never be another person like him, how he cared gave so much to the troops could never be replicated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
C-SPAN had an old documentary on today all about the USO shows in 1967 narrated by Bob Hope. I got to watch most of it and it was fantastic. He was one of a kind and it was great to see him giving relief from the everyday horrors to all those soldiers. Almost every time they showed the guys in the audience there were stacks of M14s leaned up against each other.

Thank you for your service everyone!

PS - Raquel Welch was quite the stunner back in those days too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts