M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am starting to reload for the Garand and what I am finding is that the cannelure is not lining up with the cases like the factory ammo was. I was using the HXP '73 stuff and it's OAL is short, way short with the boat tail stuff.
Any thoughts on this? It seems to be good for the .308, but not for the 30-06.

Thanks guys,
Bill

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Just set them to Your desired OAL, It doesn't matter where the Cannelure ends up,take my word for it, I have been doing it for many Years!

·
Registered
975 Posts
The cannelure isn't required for the Garand. You can load shorter to use the cannelure and a roll crimp or load longer and not try to crimp at all. The neck tension will hold the bullet as it does for non-cannelured match bullets. If the cannelure isn't at the case mouth, then you should set the die to not crimp as a roll crimp without a cannelure can reduce the neck tension and loosen the bullet.

I believe the Sierra 150 grain FMJ bullet has the cannelure farther bck on the bullet and Hornady and many others have the cannelure farther forward on the bullet.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
The Hornady Bullet was not designed with the Garand in Mind.
However they work exceptionally well for them and they all look like yours , not even close to the cannelure
You are Good to Go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts