M14 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
An update on some findings....

I read that the Schuster adjustable gas plug can be used with the BM59 gas cylinder as long as there is a spacer. This morning, I used the lathe at work and got some practice in. I made this spacer (first picture) and I wished I would have tapered it for a refined look. Upon inspection, I noticed the op-rod piston face is slightly covering the gas port and noticed a burn mark (second picture)
I backed off the tri-comp a few turns and used the gas plug to pull the cylinder into place, gas port is exposed
(third picture)

** Is there a spec on the spacing between the piston face and the gas port?
** Is my procedure in my adjustment standard? I read the gas cylinder is supposed to be tight. Mine is snug.

Im hoping to find some answers soon. I did post this on BattleTested Forum as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
An update on some findings....

I read that the Schuster adjustable gas plug can be used with the BM59 gas cylinder as long as there is a spacer. This morning, I used the lathe at work and got some practice in. I made this spacer (first picture) and I wished I would have tapered it for a refined look. Upon inspection, I noticed the op-rod piston face is slightly covering the gas port and noticed a burn mark (second picture)
I backed off the tri-comp a few turns and used the gas plug to pull the cylinder into place, gas port is exposed
(third picture)

** Is there a spec on the spacing between the piston face and the gas port?
** Is my procedure in my adjustment standard? I read the gas cylinder is supposed to be tight. Mine is snug.

Im hoping to find some answers soon. I did post this on BattleTested Forum as well.
Why do you even need to add this?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Upon inspection, I noticed the op-rod piston face is slightly covering the gas port and noticed a burn mark (second picture)
Hopefully Tim Shufflin might weigh-in, since he has built more than anyone else. I too would think the gas port needs to be in front of the piston, and not partially obscured by the end of the piston.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
My BM59 project still has a ways to go, but at Christmas I did get a new Criterion M1 308W Garand barrel for Tim Shufflin to machine down to BM59 profile. Hopefully receiver work will take place this summer. I got an extra BM59 stock in better shape than the parts kit stock, but an original Nigerian stock is what I really want. (Just to have something similar to my M14A1 replaics with pistol grip stocks, etc). Here’s what I have, minus the 1943 SA M1 donor receiver and extra walnut handguard:
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why do you even need to add this?
If you're talking about the spacer. I made it so I could use the Schuster gas plug. The Schuster gas plug is 0.082 longer than the BM59, measured from the shoulder. Without a spacer, the Schuster plug bottoms out and there is an unsightly gap. I'm not sure if it will cycle without a spacer. I figure there should be plenty adjustment on the plug to get a good ejection pattern. Ejection patter with BM59 plug is between 2 and 3 o'clock.

I hope to head to the range soon. In my area in California, it's a pain in the butt for this type of experimentation. But, I have fun as the hobbyist.

As with any hobby, I acquired a Winchester reciever that was machined to accept BM magazines. It's at my FFL. My idea is to use my spare tanker barrel. My nasty habit is I have so many spare parts, I need to use them...so I keep building.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you're talking about the spacer. I made it so I could use the Schuster gas plug. The Schuster gas plug is 0.082 longer than the BM59, measured from the shoulder. Without a spacer, the Schuster plug bottoms out and there is an unsightly gap. I'm not sure if it will cycle without a spacer. I figure there should be plenty adjustment on the plug to get a good ejection pattern. Ejection patter with BM59 plug is between 2 and 3 o'clock.

I hope to head to the range soon. In my area in California, it's a pain in the butt for this type of experimentation. But, I have fun as the hobbyist.

As with any hobby, I acquired a Winchester reciever that was machined to accept BM magazines. It's at my FFL. My idea is to use my spare tanker barrel. My nasty habit is I have so many spare parts, I need to use them...so I keep building.
If you haven't trimmed your ejector spring two coils your ejection pattern will be off.

Put the BM 59 gas cylinder lock screw back in. Grease the rifle correctly. Trim the ejector spring and roll.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Havn't had the chance to head out to the range. Been extremely busy. So to keep me occupied, I purchased a Winchester M1 receiver already machined to to accept BM59 magazines. The magazine latch pin was not drilled out to accept the front mag catch dowel. I made a sleeve to slip in it's place and i can use the original M1 Garand pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Build project 2!
Fitted the sleeve to match front magazine catch. Headspace checked: GO-GUAGE: CLOSED. NO-GO: CLOSED: FIELD: DID NOT CLOSE (as you see in the picture) Not sure of the service of the bolt I used. I may look for a new old stock Garand bolt.
Waiting for a rear sight assembly, need to figure out op-rod situation and looking to acquire a BM59 Alpine detachable muzzle brake....which is very costly!!
Unfortunately, the stock is too short. I'll have to use a Garand stock. The grain on this one is beautiful too.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took care of my op rod situation using an old M1 Garand Op Rod I didn't really like. It had funky bends and would bind.
I cut it down and welding it using my HF welder. I used flux core wire and it's holding very well. I hope to hit the range by Friday for a final test. As of right now, it function tests with a snap cap.

Attached is a link to the video, hopefully it works.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts