M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a Tanker M1/BM59 hybrid and Have a question about the stock on a BM59.
I am using a BM59 drop down gas cylinder for this build, I bought a BM59 bipod to put on it and was wondering if they put divots in the stock for the short projections on the Bipod feet to keep them located when folded? I was thinking about taking a 1/4"-3/8" Forstner bit and drill a 1/8" deep or so hole for the little lug drop into.

eQ
Musical instrument Wood Flooring Hardwood Drum
Wood Wood stain Material property Hardwood Publication

·
Registered
78 Posts
Initial thought is that if you want retention, the extra headspace for the lugs is not going to make much of a difference--unless you are having an issue taking a forward grip around the stowed legs. Even then, the effect is probably minimal, and I am one who dislikes altering good wood.

It all depends on what you want, and I think the modification would boil down to aesthetics over practicality.

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
Good looking rifle. I’m working on something very close. Mine will have the BM69 style drop down cylinde.

Did use a special follower rod and spring, how does it function with the short flash hider? Did you have to do anything to the gas port?

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking rifle. I’m working on something very close. Mine will have the BM69 style drop down cylinde.

Did use a special follower rod and spring, how does it function with the short flash hider? Did you have to do anything to the gas port?
I don't know, I have not got it running yet. I need to have the Op rod finished and it is still short chambered, I have the Pull Through Reamer I just haven't done it yet, For the op rod I am going to send it to Shuffs and have him do it. I wish I could afford to have him do a M14 mag conversion to but its more then I can afford to have done.

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
Have you considered an op rod from Standard Parts?

If you are using one of the builders' barrels, and the other parts are pretty much standard BM59 parts, the BM59 op rod should work. Did you have to shorten your barrel or are hole in your compensator covered up.

You are just a little ahead of me as I haven't mounted the barrel to the receiver.

Might be interested in a rental agreement on that reamer when you're done with it.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A BM 59 Op rod is about 1/2" to short, I have a 18 1/4" Tanker length barrel. I have a Late Springfield op rod I am going to use.

eQ

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am building a Tanker M1/BM59 hybrid and Have a question about the stock on a BM59.
I am using a BM59 drop down gas cylinder for this build, I bought a BM59 bipod to put on it and was wondering if they put divots in the stock for the short projections on the Bipod feet to keep them located when folded? I was thinking about taking a 1/4"-3/8" Forstner bit and drill a 1/8" deep or so hole for the little lug drop into.

eQ
View attachment 472722 View attachment 472721
Looks like a Boyd's Nutmeg stock 🤠👍

Reactions: Earthquake

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a Boyd's Nutmeg stock 🤠👍
I cant remember the company's name but they had just the stocks for 50$, I tried to get Boyd's to sell me just the rear hand guard but they said they had a deal with Fulton and would not sell it to me and Fulton won't sell just the hand guard by it self so I cut and pieced a M14 hand guard to fit it.

eQ

·
Registered
15 Posts

eQ
View attachment 472722 View attachment 472721
Im also in the process of building a M1/BM59 hybrid. Some issues I came across is the op rod spring length and spring follower setup. I know many have suggested Shuffs, unfortunately I deploy in 6 weeks. I doubt Shuffs has that kind of turn around time. If you or anyone else here knows the appropriate spring/follower combo, please post a picture with measurements. That would be greatly appreciated. I did order a few springs and followers to experiment with, but I'm running out of time. Plus I'm in California....so, that should say a lot.
Air gun Wood Trigger Flooring Floor

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
Are you using one of the aftermarket BM barrels or a tanker length?

I’m doing something similar. BM59 Ital length barrel and op rod, BM69 drop down gas cylinder, and an un-modified M1 receiver along with the Garand feed system. In other words, an M1 in BM59 length with the drop down gas cylinder and op rod.

I was advised that with this set up to use a Wolf tanker length spring and the standard guide rod.

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
Just enlarged your picture and not sure what barrel you’re using. It appears longer then the Ital barrel, and it looks like your stock is too short for what you’re trying to set up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just enlarged your picture and not sure what barrel you’re using. It appears longer then the Ital barrel, and it looks like your stock is too short for what you’re trying to set up.
I'm using an after market BM barrel. The stock is short, because the front end was cut off. So it may give an illusion that the barrel is longer. I bought a few stocks on ebay @ $10 each. I used one to fit on my Ruger PC9.
I did order a few Wolf spring, and hopefully II'll get it soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update on my build. Received my Wolff Tanker Spring and used standard op rod spring guide. Function testing wise, feels about the same weight of a standard M1 Garand. I'll be finally taking it out to the range for function testing and zeroing. I'm hoping I have no issues. Ordered a new cheap stock, one that was extended off of eBay. The intent of this rifle is to be a shooter. I'll post my findings!

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
I just received a package from Sarco yesterday. New M1 stock for $50. Originally a Berrata .308 stock with the extra piece added to the front. I’ve used the Italian stocks before on my .308 build using a BM59 barrel. Not a bad deal.

Reactions: clenceo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Range up date. First...it didn't blow up!!

I was using Aguila 150gr ammo. I fired my first few test rounds and it functions. I was about 50 yards, and unfortunately I wasn't hitting paper. I wasn't there to zero, my intent was to function test and gather my information. I fired a total of 18 rounds. I fired little because the rifle was not cycling. Initially, my thoughts were oprod piston was out of spec and allowing gas to leak by. Then I thought maybe it was the spring, it's new and needs to break in. After much thought, I decided to go home. Then it occurred to me....maybe when I swapped out the grenade sight, its wrong??!!

Came home took off the the gas block assembly and checked. Nope...when the grenade sight is stowed, the gas port is open. So I figured I'd just do a visual inspection and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

Putting the gas cylinder in place, I screwed the muzzle device until it bottomed out, backed it about quarter turn and screwed in the gas plug. Then, I thought to use a paper clip and make sure the ports aligned. They don't!

When screwing on the muzzle device and bottoming out, I was 3.5 turns past the gas port on the barrel which was about a 1/16th over, covering it and not allowing gas to be directed to the oprod piston. So I backed out the muzzle device about 3.5 turns, used my paper clip to insure my ports aligned as best possible and secured it in place with the gas plug. I'm sure that was the root of my cycling issue. But, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to function test again. Meantime, I'll have to dig up my laser bore sighter.

( 1st picture: muzzle device bottomed out. Thats how I was testing the rifle. Gas ports were blocked off.)
( 2nd picture: Gas ports aligned with paper clip. Muzzle device had to be backed out about 3.5 turns.)

So if this helps...awesome. Or, could be my rookie mistake.

Attachments

·
Registered
A bunch
43 Posts
I’ve always been amazed that an issue can be “corrected” with something like a bent paper clip, or a piece of popsicle stick, piece of pasta, or a piece of tap.

Had a similar on one of my builds. That’s how we learn.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got back from the range. Success! After bore-sighting here at home, didn't take much to get on paper at 50 yards. Didn't have to time to wait for the 100 yard area. I went through two boxes of Winchester 147gr, ejection pattern around 2 o'clock with no problems! Group size roughly half a fist size.

Tons of fun with this build! Can't wait to shoot more!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts