M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering a bm59, waiting on photos before i buy, anybody have any input on these italian rifles? this one was built in the 70s from a parts kit with a garand receiver. of course its semiauto only. someone out there give me their two cents worth on this. thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
the guest post on bm59 was me, dont know why it came up as guest as i logged in. i am the harley guy and real computor stupid i guess.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My experience with the BM 59 is with a Reese Surplus BM 59. These came into the country partially finished. Springfield purchased the receivers, parts and tooling and finished manufacturing these rifles. They are very pleasant to shoot and one of my favorite rifles.

Regards

Ox

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
We have a couple at our DoD Club. The one I'm familiar with was from SA, in the late 70's. It is the most finickey rifle I've seen. It doesn't like most magazines, and has serious problems with most surplus .308. It does it's best with DAG and the Malaysian originally meant for the G3 rifle. Hope yours does better.
By the way, it has the tri-compensator on it, and makes shooting beside it a true thrill. :D

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finally received some photos and it is not a true bm59. looks to be a put together of questionable originality. reese had sent me a detailed list of things to look for and this rifle could not pass the test. thanks to reese for saving me some grief. will keep looking.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
BM-59

I know the ammo problem and I solved mine by using small base dies. After that, the gun functions very well both ways. The fast way just puts you back at the reloading bench alot faster. Don't know if that information will help but at least you shouldn't have to worry about functioning.

I love'm all.

Federal

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
I prefer the BM 62 over the SA BM59. The BM 62 is the civy version of the Italian army Select fire Bm 59, imported from Italy. SA got parts kit from Berreta and used a SA reciever to finish off the build. I couldnt tell you wich reciever is superior the SA or Berreta both are fine rifles but the BM62 is the real version stamped with Berreta on the heal. The only down side of the 62 is the mags and they are hard to come by. Also the 62 carries a higher price tag due to the fact they are rarer.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I bought a BM59 on Gunbroker back in December from a dealer in the midwest, Wisconsin I think. The rifle was converted from a Garand. What a disaster! Whoever did the work used a Garand receiver that was probably a reweld and heavily pitted. It had the following problems:

1. Bad headspace
2. Receiver was bowed in both length and width
3. Oprod would jump out of the track 1/2 inch after the bolt unlocked
4. Receiver firing pin bridge was poorly welded
5. Left side of receiver was ground so deeply the bolt latch pinholes were opened and the bolt latch would fall out.
6. Locking bar on windage dial was missing.
7. Every major parts group, receiver and barrel was finished differently.

My FFL dealer was so concerned he immediately called upon receipt and told me I better come over and check the rifle out before the three day inspection period expired! The seller refunded my money pleading ignorance. Then he gives me an F rating saying he had rifle checked and most of these problems did not exist and rifle was safe to shoot! Talk about a sleaseball.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bm 59 of course

I purchased my BM-59 last year from a La. dealer after Katrina and have put about 150 rds through it with 1 feeding problem, the bolt held open once after firing, I pushed the shells down in the mag well and slid a bullet in the chamber, I did'nt tap the bullets all the way into the rear of the Beretta mag. I'm using south African 148 gr. I love that gun. It's a carbine with a bird cage suppressor like the m-60e2 I shot in the army. I was really supprised how well it shot. It is on an ww2 Springfield garand reciever w mostly Beretta parts, probably used in Africa and imported here. About 95% condition. $875.AIRASLT C. co 1st 327th inf Ft. Campell Ky, 42223

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess the BM-59 I'm familiar with is this one:

When I was stationed in Naples, Italy, the Carabinari (national police) had a few of these they used to keep on the top of their trucks that sat just outside our gates over on the Navy side. I had a chance to fire one once and the full auto version is pretty wicked. I'm not sure what the cyclic rate on this thing was but it seemed even faster than our M-16A2s when we had them on burst!GI3 The long flash suppressor was a combination of a flash suppressor, muzzle break, grenade launcher and bayonet lug. Talk about your Swiss army knife of muzzle attachments!!! The magazines look like M-14 mags but they are different and M-14 mags won't work in the BM-59. While I would love to own one, I think with the magazines being a little scarce as well as replacement parts, I think I'll just stick to my M1As.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts