M14 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
22 Posts
While that BM59 folding stock may be handy and neat looking, I cannot imagine that it would be comfortable to shoot.
These rifles are my favorite since I saw one at the tender young age of 10 in a copy of 'Small Arms Of The World'. The little round 'knob' at the butt end of the stock, even with the butt-plate folded down, is like being punched with the knob. It stings. If you are a 19 year old airborne paratrooper, no problem. I practiced a rapid fire, empty a 20 rounder quickly, while moving from position to position and was bruised up the next day due to not keeping it firmly in the shoulder pocket. Neat looking, but not regular shooter furniture really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TNX, that part in the very bottom of the picture is what I’m looking for. It looks like a roll pin thru it about a third of the way from right. Does that secure it into the grip?
The grip’s bottom metal has a spring loaded lever like a seesaw. The door slides into groves in the grip and the lever moves down then snaps back up to secure it. You insert a bullet tip in the door’s hole to depress the lever and slide it off the grip. I’m looking into getting two for my spare grips from a friend in the Italian alps.

22 Posts
Had to jump back in as I was looking for a particular photo. This is a photo of a Berben BM-62 purchased back in the early nineties from The Shotgun News. When I bought this, I also purchased a folding stock (now mounted on weapon) from the same seller. The folding stock had been finished with high gloss clear polyurethane. I ended up stripping the furniture with methylene chloride/acetone to get down to the wood. Finish was thick and shiny, like this stock was on a drill rifle or wall-hanger display. I then used strip-eaze paint stripper as it is a thicker solution for melting the urethane out of the wood grain. Then dry sanding with sand paper. Final sanding was 'wet' with Minwax - Black Walnut Stain and 600 grit 3M sandpaper followed wet with steel wool. Final finish was more polishing with Johnson Paste Wax.

The stock was made by SILE. I apologize for the inverted image.
Brown Wood Sleeve Hardwood Landscape

Musical instrument Shotgun Trigger Air gun Folk instrument

Notice that conversion from Berben BM-62 to paracadutisti was accomplished by me being able to purchase those parts from Reese Surplus right before the AWB went into effect. Notice the detachable tri-compensator sitting on the table. A note here as the standard BM-59 bayonet fits the NON-detachable compensator, but a detachable tri-comp doesn't due to it being shorter. So if there is a special bayonet made by Beretta, I don't have one. Yes the upper handguard is cracked. That was replaced with a new one in the wrap from SARCO.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Had to jump back in as I was looking for a particular photo. This is a photo of a Berben BM-62 purchased back in the early nineties from The Shotgun News. When I bought this, I also purchased a folding stock (now mounted on weapon) from the same seller. The folding stock had been finished with high gloss clear polyurethane. I ended up stripping the furniture with methylene chloride/acetone to get down to the wood. Finish was thick and shiny, like this stock was on a drill rifle or wall-hanger display. I then used strip-eaze paint stripper as it is a thicker solution for melting the urethane out of the wood grain. Then dry sanding with sand paper. Final sanding was 'wet' with Minwax - Black Walnut Stain and 600 grit 3M sandpaper followed wet with steel wool. Final finish was more polishing with Johnson Paste Wax.

View attachment 469205

View attachment 469200

Notice that conversion from Berben BM-62 to paracadutisti was accomplished by me being able to purchase those parts from Reese Surplus right before the AWB went into effect. Notice the detachable tri-compensator sitting on the table. A note here as the standard BM-59 bayonet fits the NON-detachable compensator, but a detachable tri-comp doesn't due to it being shorter. So if there is a special bayonet made by Beretta, I don't have one. Yes the upper handguard is cracked. That was replaced with a new one in the wrap from SARCO.
Very nice! How does it shoot and handle? The finish looks great, much better than a glossy plastic coating type finish.

22 Posts
Very nice! How does it shoot and handle? The finish looks great, much better than a glossy plastic coating type finish.
Thank you. As a purchased used BM-62, I was getting 5 -6 MOA. I'm a collector, not really a marksman. The para parts were squirrel'd away, and the folding stock '62 went to the back of the safe. I built a parts kit L1A1 after getting this and it shot 3 MOA after I built it in my garage! About 10 years ago, between work, I pull it out and install all the military stuff. During said assembly, my web research leads me to believe that there is a possibility of lead being shaved off a bullet going through the IMPROPERLY aligned removable tri-comp. This needs to see a real gunsmith before the trigger is pulled on these parts.

·
Registered
317 Posts

View attachment 469205

View attachment 469200

The tri-compensator you have is not a true paracadutsis compensator. This from a thread on Machinegun Board's BM59 forum, "the detachable flash hider / muzzle brake you have is a 'bastardised' version that Reese Surplus sells / sold. The correct version is 2 inches or so longer!" Here is a link to that thread: Problem With Quick Detachable Muzzle Brake That is why a BM59 bayonet does not work.

22 Posts
The tri-compensator you have is not a true paracadutsis compensator. This from a thread on Machinegun Board's BM59 forum, "the detachable flash hider / muzzle brake you have is a 'bastardised' version that Reese Surplus sells / sold. The correct version is 2 inches or so longer!" Here is a link to that thread: Problem With Quick Detachable Muzzle Brake That is why a BM59 bayonet does not work.
Excellent! That stuff was purchased approx early 1994, I believe.

22 Posts
We had snow up here in Erie yesterday, so I took some time and ripped these out of the safe. The bottom BM-62 in folding furniture next to the one with the 'fake tri-comp'. Fortunately as I said above, I never fired ammo through this. Should be easy to revert this back to functional!
Wood Tool Gun barrel Metal Shotgun
Wood Tool Gun barrel Metal Shotgun

21 - 37 of 37 Posts