M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!
I have a few questions for anyone with experience with the Blackfeather Stock from M14.ca.
I live in New Zealand and we have tonnes of m305s about so naturally I'm pretty interested in the platform as it is very versatile. Norincos are about $650nzd ($550usd) which is pretty cheap compared to the cost of a bolt gun or other options. 308 is really common here and excellent for hunting especially at the close range of the bush 100-200m. (The platform has a cool history, even if it's a Chinese clone).

Because of our super cool gun laws having a semi-auto with a pistol grip is a no no. That is unless you get a special endorsement on your license which I don't have, and is a pain to get (costs money, have to buy an new safe, red tape etc) . This means that I cannot use a blackfeather with a regular AR15 grip & stock like it was intended. I can own the grip and the stock, but if I put them together I am breaking the law.

However, we are allowed thumbhole style grip/stock combos. So my question is, will a grip/stock combo that is designed for a AR15 fit onto a blackfeather without modification?

Picture related.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes, I think that would fit just fine and wouldn't hesitate to order it if I was in your situation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd suggest calling Frank at M14.ca before making anything final. The grip to butt stock relationship may not be compatible with a Blackfeather.

Frank is always helpful and is very responsive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest calling Frank at M14.ca before making anything final. The grip to butt stock relationship may not be compatible with a Blackfeather.

Frank is always helpful and is very responsive.
Thanks, I sent Frank an email and got a reply pretty quickly. He's adamant that thery're compatible.

I was hoping someone here who owns both a Blackfeather and a AR could check the the height of the buffer tube and relationship of the pistol grip so I could be more certian.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't own an AR, but I do own a blackfeather. I don't think the pictured stock/grip combo will work because they are much closer together on the blackfeather than they are on an AR.

Is the bar between the grip and the stock flexible? Maybe it could be made to fit.

Note the geometry difference between my M16A1 grip and stock vs the original.

Reactions: apathykills

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own an AR, but I do own a blackfeather. I don't think the pictured stock/grip combo will work because they are much closer together on the blackfeather than they are on an AR.

Is the bar between the grip and the stock flexible? Maybe it could be made to fit.

Note the geometry difference between my M16A1 grip and stock vs the original.
Maybe someone will bust out a ruler and help me out!?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe someone will bust out a ruler and help me out!?
Measurement is a little difficult given the irregular shapes but measuring from the top of the buffer tubes, an AR tube sits about 1" higher than that in a Blackfeather. Indexing from the back of the grip where it contacts the stock, the AR grip sits about 3/4" further to the rear than on the Blackfeather.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Try this, on the combo stock in your first post, can you force the pistol grip towards the bottom of the buttstock so that they touch? On the blackfeather, the rear of the pistol grip touches the bottom of the buttstock, if your combo stock cannot be forced into this position, then it will not work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts