M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These stocks have been out for a while now and I know there are a few guys on this site that have them. I was just wondering what kind of groups were you guys getting with the stock upgrade? Has anyone put a loaded model in one, what were your results? Now that these stocks can be purchased in the us with no paperwork I figured it would be worth a little research. I know accuracy was not the primary objective in the stock design but with solid bedding and a way to adjust tension on the barrel the potential to build a m1a with repeatable accuracy is there.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Try a search I think there is one range report or so.

I know I've bad mouthed h20man, but the rumor is he treats customers okay.

I bet they won't last long in the px if you decide you don't want it.

I had wanted it to be lighter.

I am still wanting for someone like Rammac to get his hands on one. Or another member who is am rifleman and owns the jae.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have one and love it. Range wise, there is drastic improvement over both my original loaded plastic stock and a Vietnam era fiberglass. Cut my groups at 200 down from 5 to about 3". My brother, who is a much better shot than I, repeatedly shot 200 yard groups at around 2" (and several less) from the same gun. Very happy with the stock.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome to hear jdogg, most of the range reports I have seen have been rifles with standard contour barrels. I've been eyeing this stock for a while now, but I won't be getting one in the immediate future because I cant have weapons where I'm currently stationed. So until I pcs back to the land of the free I can only gather data. Plus I have to sell my sage alcs/cv first.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Jdogg.. have you posted any pics of your Loaded in the Blackfeather? Curious about what the 22" looks like in that stock. Time for a Search....

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Being a relatively new stock, it will probably take some time to get into certain hands, let alone certain hands that are actively on forums. Especially with SAGE and JAE being established chassis systems, they have a lot to compete with here in the US market. I'm sure we'll see some in the near future. It looks like a good system with promise, though.

Give it time. Reports will come.

Tony.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The reason most of the reviews have been with std contour barrels is that the blackfeather handguard cannot accommodate medium profile barrels. You can run the fiberglass handguard with a medium barrel, but since the handguard tapers towards the muzzle and the BF stock does not, it looks a little funny.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was more looking at the chassis itself vs the entire system standard barrel only hand guard included. After market support and variety is good for any product. I think that is one of the big draws of the ar platform.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone put a loaded model in one, what were your results?
Mine isn't a Loaded, only a standard barreled Norinco but I've been getting pretty good results. A stretch of about 700 rounds averaged 1.7 MOA, shooting 5 round groups for the most part.

See my posting (#119) on the 1.5 MOA challenge which is relatively recent.
http://m14forum.com/accuracy/159256-official-m1a-1-5-moa-challenge-8.html

I did too many tweaks at once to say what improvements the stock alone made however a solid chassis and the ability to tune the barrel tension can't hurt. The stock is a very tight and stable fit...very good tolerances.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pr589 thank you for the info you have a good looking rifle. Those are some consistent groups. What does your rifle weigh?
Sps - Thanks for the compliment...she is one of my babies.

I don't have a great scale to measure these things but using a bathroom scale the rifle (without a magazine) is 11 lbs almost exactly.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest which weighs 15.2 oz. I do have a rail section mounted (weight unknown), some rail covers so that I don't chew up my rest, and the CTR stock is about a pound including the cheek rest. I also have a Vortex flash-hider and iron sight assembly. A direct threaded FH or compensator would save some weight.

Frank's (from M14.ca) ultralight build at 8.2 lbs is probably close to the lightest that one can realistically get (for an 18.5" barreled rifle).

Unless you put some heavy parts on your rifle, it would likely be in the 9-10 lb range without optics. I have a new AR with a match barrel that is 7 lbs without optics. By comparison, the M1A style rifle is quite reasonable given the more powerful cartridge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ask and ye shall receive...

Jdogg.. have you posted any pics of your Loaded in the Blackfeather? Curious about what the 22" looks like in that stock. Time for a Search....

Also was going to mention if anyone in was in Salem Oregon they could check it out at the range - just send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
52 Posts
feels better than a GI stock, but that could be due to where I hold it because of the pistol grip. The perceived weight distro is better, and the one time I brought it up to the eye whilst hunting it felt better because a better anchor point (the pistol grip). I only played with a Sage once or twice, and they felt a little bit off balanced compared to the blackfeather but not much. I don't think the balance point would be enough to sway me one way or another - the weight definitely - but not balance.

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. I should have some data in a couple of weeks as time permits. My first impressions were that it was surprisingly light!

Jdogg, I'll try to coordinate a time to host you out at tri-county and we can have some 300yd fun!

Tony.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. I should have some data in a couple of weeks as time permits. My first impressions were that it was surprisingly light!

Jdogg, I'll try to coordinate a time to host you out at tri-county and we can have some 300yd fun!

Tony.
Congrats Tony, I think you will like it---enjoy the installUSN2

Reactions: tonyben
1 - 20 of 24 Posts