M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking of getting a Blackfeather for my next M14 and I like the Fixed stock variant of the Blackfeather and EBR however with the Blackfeather I just do not like that Picatinny rail at the for-end of the stock. Does it come off or is it a part of the rifle? Is there a way to order the stock without that thing? I don't plan on putting a Bipod on the stock. All I need is a sling swivel.

Located at the front sling attachment. I want that rail gone.

EBR looks good too.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose I could have me and my cousin mill it off then cerekote it some awesome color like ranger green or something.

·
Forum Jester
8,444 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
OK ...
As the technical.consultant on the design of the BLACKFEATHER chassis system,
I advise that you leave the picatinny rail on the underside of the forearm un-molested.

The actual connection point between barrel and forearm is at the heavily reinforced buttress enclosing the new much stronger proprietary op rod guide, so THEORETICALLY, from a structural perspective, anything forward of that connection is irrelevent. I have experimented with chopping back the forearm to just behind the gas cylinder ( CHOP MOD) and could find no negative results ( except it looked FUGLY).

HOWEVER,
if you look closely at the design if the interface between the ADJUSTABLE tensioner built into the op rod guide, and the way it mates into the forearm, you will see that the extra depth involved requires the thickening of the forearm at that location. This thickened portion would need to be retained. So even if you milled off the picatinny rail forward of the op rod guide , there MUST be a lump at the connection point. And the Q R sling swivel located at the front if the rail, also requires that thickness.

The picatinny rail also provides a strong stiffening effect to the forearm forward of the connection point, and removing the rail would weaken the entire front section of the chassis. What was once RIGID would now FLEX much more easily.
This would produce unexpected and untested and prabaly undesirable variations in a well tested SYSTEM.
And for what purpose?

I have shot a whole lot of rounds out of Blackfeather stocked M14 type rifles, mostly through SHORTIFIED versions with 18.6" barrels. These shorter barreled models balance much better, but even with the lightened front ends, the M14 is simply TOO HEAVY to use the front section of the forearm for support. I ( and every other serious shooter I have seen) place the support hand BEHIND where the op rod connection point is located. And that section is made SMOOTH, with a REMOVEABLE pic rail there as an option.
LAZ 1

·
Automatic Rifleman
587 Posts
OK ...
I advise that you leave the picatinny rail on the underside of the forearm un-molested.

The actual connection point between barrel and forearm is at the heavily reinforced buttress enclosing the new much stronger proprietary op rod guide, so THEORETICALLY, from a structural perspective, anything forward of that connection is irrelevent. I have experimented with chopping back the forearm to just behind the gas cylinder ( CHOP MOD) and could find no negative results ( except it looked FUGLY).

HOWEVER,
if you look closely at the design if the interface between the ADJUSTABLE tensioner built into the op rod guide, and the way it mates into the forearm, you will see that the extra depth involved requires the thickening of the forearm at that location. This thickened portion would need to be retained. So even if you milled off the picatinny rail forward of the op rod guide , there MUST be a lump at the connection point. And the Q R sling swivel located at the front if the rail, also requires that thickness.

The picatinny rail also provides a strong stiffening effect to the forearm forward of the connection point, and removing the rail would weaken the entire front section of the chassis. What was once RIGID would now FLEX much more easily.
This would produce unexpected and untested and prabaly undesirable variations in a well tested SYSTEM.
And for what purpose?

I have shot a whole lot of rounds out of Blackfeather stocked M14 type rifles, mostly through SHORTIFIED versions with 18.6" barrels. These shorter barreled models balance much better, but even with the lightened front ends, the M14 is simply TOO HEAVY to use the front section of the forearm for support. I ( and every other serious shooter I have seen) place the support hand BEHIND where the op rod connection point is located. And that section is made SMOOTH, with a REMOVEABLE pic rail there as an option.
LAZ 1
Well, this changes everything. I take back my suggestion. You clearly do not want to remove any vital bits.

I should pick up one of these some day.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose I will go with the Blackfeather anyway. Looking forward to late March-April. My Bula/John Wolfe Blackfeather DMR will be added to the collection.

M14 #10 I cannot wait. Never thought I would get to 10. I wonder what it is going to be like when I hit 50 or 100!

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
This is what makes this forum as good as it gets. Great information.

OK ...

HOWEVER,

And for what purpose?

LAZ 1

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Anybody have one with the above non-pistola stock? Any feedback as far as how it places hand and trigger placement?

Looks pretty tempting.
The original prototype non-pistol grip buttstock adaptor for the Blackfeather was built with a customer supplied MAGPUL Rem 870 buttstock.

This did NOT feel right to me, so I recommende the Mosssberg version. The Mossberg prototype was tried for feel and balance by several people with various builds and hand sizes, and was definitely much better feeling.

WITH THE MAGPUL MOSSBERG BUTT, THE STANDARD "FEEL" OF THE ORIGINAL M14 STOCK IS CLOSELY DUPLICATED, and THE STANDARD IRON SIGHTS ARE PROPERLY LOCATED FOR MOST PEOPLE.

I personally much prefer the pistol grip version of the BLACKFEATHER, and ususally add a pistol grip to my convetional M14 stocks, but many others prefer the new design.
As always with M14 advice you get for free from the internet,
YPMMV

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suppose I will go with the Blackfeather anyway. Looking forward to late March-April. My Bula/John Wolfe Blackfeather DMR will be added to the collection.

M14 #10 I cannot wait. Never thought I would get to 10. I wonder what it is going to be like when I hit 50 or 100!
I will now begin to live vicariously through you Killa!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
WITH THE MAGPUL MOSSBERG BUTT, THE STANDARD "FEEL" OF THE ORIGINAL M14 STOCK IS CLOSELY DUPLICATED, and THE STANDARD IRON SIGHTS ARE PROPERLY LOCATED FOR MOST PEOPLE.

I personally much prefer the pistol grip version of the BLACKFEATHER, and ususally add a pistol grip to my convetional M14 stocks, but many others prefer the new design.
As always with M14 advice you get for free from the internet,
YPMMV
Muchas gracias! I'm happy to take advantage, with a money back guarantee to boot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.