M14 Forum banner

Blackfeather Install Help

717 12
I have been working on this on and off for months now. I have reached a point where I don't believe I can continue. I have beat my rifle to hell trying to get this freaking OP Rod guide on here. Now I need the gun re-coated and I don't think that will happen before gun season opens. I'm at a total loss on how to continue. This guide will not go on any further as the barrel is too wide. I've sanded like a madman. This is a Springfield M1A Loaded with the medium-weight barrel. I did specify medium weight when I ordered the chassis and SHG. See pictures for a better idea of where I'm stuck. I contacted LRB a couple months ago about getting them to finish this fit and they had said the shipping would be ridiculous and they wouldn't recommend it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Automotive tire Bumper Material property Gas Automotive exterior

Fixture Automotive tire Material property Gas Cylinder

Wood Bumper Gadget Gas Composite material

Bumper Automotive exterior Grille Gas Auto part
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Springfield Armory M1A Loaded (NY Compliant), Sig Sauer 1911 Emperor Scorpion
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am about ready to tear my hair out. Every day I work on this is pain. The worst part is, there isn't a chance in hell a standard oprod guide will fit this rifle anymore so there's no turning back.

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
Send it to me and I'll have it turned around in a day or two. I do these all the time. In cases like this, I turn the barrel down just a hair. I also sometimes have to extend the barrel boss back to allow the op-rod guide to fit.

Tony.

·
Registered
Springfield Armory M1A Loaded (NY Compliant), Sig Sauer 1911 Emperor Scorpion
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Send it to me and I'll have it turned around in a day or two. I do these all the time. In cases like this, I turn the barrel down just a hair. I also sometimes have to extend the barrel boss back to allow the op-rod guide to fit.

Tony.
I'll give you a call via your website # tomorrow. I appreciate the quick response. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I had the same problem OP when I did my first one and sent the second one to Forceman for the install.
I sanded for days on the barrel and finally used a brake hone I had here to polish the guide a bit and then beat the hell out of it to get it on where it needed to be with the pipe it came with

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
I have found the op-rod guide on the BFC to be slightly undersized. I turn the barrel boss diameter down to fit. Also, the guide can be too thick (front to back) which requires me to extend the footprint of the barrel boss back on some medium weight barrels. If I don't do this, you can't press the guide on far enough to align with the roll pin or the bolt hole on the bottom. GI profile barrels taper back down and I don't have that issue with those.

Tony.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
So, what is the issue here, if it is a common struggle with installation? Is the op rod guide not the proper size?
I think it is common to have to fit the diameter. TonyBen has a video on how to do that, using lapping compound and an old operating rod guide, and it works great, followed by knocking it on with that aluminum tube that is supplied. But it looks like the barrel itself needs the shoulder next to the section cut back, because it is impeding the guide getting into position relative to the chassis, which you're not going to manage properly without a lathe. You could also open the hole on the bottom of the chassis for the screw, but then you've got an oblong hole, which if the barrel is what's out of spec, in terms of position of the operating guide, would be kind of lame. Considering that the blackfeather chassis is made on a CNC machine, I would guess somebody just slipped up on the barrel turning position for the operating guide boss shoulder, but I'm just speculating.

Edit, I just read Tony's post. Look, I speculated incorrectly. Oh well. Note for future, don't listen to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
The issue is the variances in barrel contour. A GI medium weight, like the Saco-Lowel profile, maintains a 1.1" barrel shank thickness for the first two inches from the barrel shoulder and gradually tapers to about 0.95" before it tapers again to the 0.8" thickness of the op-rod guide (bottom barrel pictured). The Blackfeather guide was designed to use all the meat available on the GI medium weight profile.

Now look at the slightly heavier Springfield medium weight, which is more of a DMR profile which maintains a 1.1" barrel shank thickness until just before the op-rod guide. That profile doesn't leave any space for a thicker guide. It's made to be as thick as possible until it has to taper to 0.800"

Tony.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts