M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all , I got a chance today to knock one off of the bucket list.I have been fighting with an online store for a substantial refund, also I lost my Dad recently.So the stress has been CRUSHING at this point. Got my refund today finally.....so off to the range.My dad and I had talked about black powder pistols before but we never got around to it. Well I lucked into a set of 1972 Armi San Marcos revolvers. ASM is not my first choice but they were clean and cheap ($300 for both), they are also from the year I was born .
The first is a 3rd model dragoon, the second......the Colt Walker.

Now I haven't fired a Bp revolver in years,and that was only about 20 grns of powder in a brass frame gun.So this was all new.Had a gunsmith look them over after buying them.
I loaded 30grns w/454 lead ball in the dragoon. The smile went from ear to ear. Next 40 grns......boom!!!!! lovin it.
Next came the Walker, first a few rnds of 30grns of powder just to check function....everything worked.....If 30grns is good- 60grns has to better ( the max load for a Walker).
First round...BOOOOOM.......amazing is all I can say...I giggled like a little girl and fired the remaining 5 shots.
If you ever get a chance there is nothing in this world like dual wielding two of these hand cannons. I loaded up 45grns of powder in the Dragoon and 50grns in the Walker( so the loading lever didnt drop) and went to town. That was for you Dad just wish you could have been there.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nice boomers. My dad has a similar pair. He has a 3rd model Colt Dragoon I gave him, plus a Uberti Walker. The Walker is cartoonishly large.

Reactions: mcv

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Y'all, Yes the joy wore off real quick when I went to clean them. This was the most fun I have had at the range in a long time. I really thought I was going to convert them to 45LC, but they are just tooooooo much fun to shoot!
heres one more pic with sharps 45-70

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
love shooting the soot burners.
Lruss

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am heavily into the civil war to cowboy age guns, I have a 3rd model dragoon, a very impressive pistol. Try some conicals, you will really like em. I also have, a 58 remington, a 860 colt, a 1862 colt, and 51 london colt. Be careful they multiply, ive found real holy black is more consistent than the subs. Ive tried black in cartridge guns also. I have 4 sharps, a44-77,50-90, 50-70, and a 45-110. With a 550 gr paper patch and 110 grs of black, a steel butt plate sharps is invigorating, recoil wise. Then you get into the front stuffer rifles, all are really fun. Very nice additions, the ASM, guns can be very nice.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I love to shoot BP. I have a couple of repro civil war rifled muskets and an original musket, as well as several repro 1851 Colts, an 1858 Remington and a 1848 2nd Model Dragoon. The Dragoon is a blast to shoot. I set up a B21 target at 100 yards and had not problem putting 5 of 6 shots on the target in good lethal areas.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hammer 1, Iam really wanting to try the conical projectile. I was just reading about them. Yes, Iam very-very worried these might multiply. Iam kinda thinking about another walker.Dual weilding two 60grn cannons sounds fun.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
MCV, the rifles are just as fun, I have a berdan sharps, a 3 band enfield , and my favorite front stuffer, a whitworth. The sharps and the whitworth are scary accurate, due to a recent subject on here, I pulled out the whitworth. The hexagonal bullets are just cool, and now, I need to order some more. The black powder stuff, morphs,( it di for me). I ended up with the sharps, 2 1873s, 3 1876s, and 2 SAAs. Trying black powder out of them is also very fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
MCV is that a Pedersoli Sharps 1874 with a Malcolm style 6x scope? Looks just like mine, and you are right they are way too much fun to shoot. I also have a Winchester 1876 chambered in 45-60 made in 1882. Also shoot the Holy Black (sub) in the 76, now that is a hoot to shoot, my favorite long gun.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I want an 1871. I got me a 1851 copy & a ruger old army this weekend but haven't got to shoot 'em yet. Thanks for getting me started guys. Now i'm looking at a 20ga dbl bbl howda and a 50cal rifle.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks Y'all, Yes the joy wore off real quick when I went to clean them. This was the most fun I have had at the range in a long time. I really thought I was going to convert them to 45LC, but they are just tooooooo much fun to shoot!
heres one more pic with sharps 45-70

Well Mr. Carpetbagger, (spit) we got somethin' called a Missouri boat ride round' these parts......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honest Henry, yes it is a Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 with a 6x scope. I love the set-up,The looks at the range are priceless.Do you have the same scope and mounts?

XXXmarine, good luck these things are addictive.

m1476251.....Love that movie...I just wish I could have found a brass scope to complete the look.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
First gun I ever bought in my life was an Italian made Colt 1851 Navy. I bought it as a gift for a friend in Kennesaw, Georgia where they have a law on the books that if you're a home owner, it's required you keep a firearm in the house. They've never tried to enforce that law, of course.

His wife freaked out, but he loved it. I should buy myself one some day.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.