M14 Forum banner

Black NM space block

1492 5
I'm interested to know if you can tell me anything about the black spacer block that was made at one time with a 779*** number on it that was used to fill the hinge recess on M14 buttplates so a M1 butt plate could be fit on the rifle for NM use. I know of a couple that are in use by shooters and could possibly get the complete number if needed. I've never seen any others.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts

flintsghost:

It's a 7790914, and indeed is a spacer used to fill the hinge area of the M14 stock, when used with a Garand buttplate, rather than the M14 buttplate. I have been looking for one for several years, with no luck. Bill can enlighten you more I'm sure, but they are very hard to find, and quite expensive ($100.00+, as I recall). You could, of course "luck" upon one, but only if you search really hard...........Then it wouldn't be luck, would it?

Since I greatly prefer the Garand buttplate (and since it is, I think, service rifle legal on an M14), I have filled the hinge area on my M14 stock with a walnut filler, and attached the M1 buttplate. This is an attractive (and much less expensive) alternative to the little (expensive) filler piece.

HTH

· Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually interested in what Bill had to say about them. A friend of mine has a couple but he isn't letting go of them. My brother got one from him years ago and uses it on his M1A. We were thinking of spending the money to have some molded but I'm not sure there is enough demand.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
First they were not National Match. Rock Island produced them at the request of SA. When the change occurred from the standard butt plate to the flip up design, it was much easier to make stocks than butt plates. Production at SA fell behind and it was decided to use this spacer with the early style butt plate. Once back for rebuild, the butt plates would be changed.

Another nice bit of trivia is SA had to produce a quantity of M1 butt plates during that time. Dipping into the stock of butt plates already in the system would foul up the financial system as it would reflect a lower cost on M14 production and a high cost of M1 maintenance. The real challenge is finding the proper butt plate that is partnered with the spacer.

I have a couple of sets of them and they are not for sale.

I do not know about the demand as the overwhelming majority of M14 owners prefer the later butt plates.

· Registered
108 Posts
I bought a couple a few years ago. Can't remember from who, but the ones I have are dark gray in color. Put one one a USGI fiberglass stock for Scout SHTF rifle. Have an extra if somebody wants to borrow to make a mold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.