M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm looking at dropping my Loaded M1A (medium-heavy barrel) into a wood stock and to be perfectly honest I know nothing about wood.

From what I have seen Birch is much prettier, I like the lighter color.

I'm looking for a hunting build and occasional bench shooting out of it, and I plan on putting a Troy rail system on top instead of the heat-shield.

Any input would be appreciated. Such as links to info, personal preferences, need to knows, or even places to purchase.

Looking to spend around $200 and no more than $300. Would really prefer to just drop it in but if parts are required that's fine.

Techasn

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
are you ditching the MCS?

I have a birch stock that i made to work with my Sage Op rod block.

It shoots nice.

I got my stock here on the board (some idiot sanded on it so i got it cheaper since the DOD cartouche is screwed up) its still real nice, just not collector nice, but you want a hunting build not a collector build.

I got the metal and handgaurd from treelinem14.com

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I'm ditching half of it, ya I don't want a cheap one but I don't need the expensive collectors one either

·
13,515 Posts
and your against USGI fiberglass?

if its untouched then its gonna be expensive

if someone has refinished it like mine its cheapER

not cheap.
my stock is pretty nice man. i like it.

·
13,515 Posts

its birch i like the lighter look like you do.

but here is where the value is lost, see how the cartouche is half gone.

·
13,515 Posts
an non-refinnished stock , thats real pretty is gonna run about 200 for walnut and maybe less for birch.

Birch is less desirable for accuracy and longevity.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that stinks man, but it's a beautiful stock.

I figure prettier is fine for a hunting rifle, 200 yard shot with a M1A you'll hit within 2 inches.

I'd prefer already finished with all the metal and used is fine but not scratched and messed up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could try your luck ordering from Fred's M14 Stocks, but you'll need to refinish it. Treeline has a selection of refinished stocks, and they have great service.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Fred MIGHT go to the trouble to pick you a well-aged, heavy, dense USGI birch stock, then again he might not. Treeline would be my first stop. The right birch makes a stout platform, but for best results you've got to hog out a lot of wood and basically reconstruct the inside with a bedding compound like Marine Tex or Steelbed or Devcon. The areas that aren't glassed need to be sealed, finished out (tincture of iodine = strawberry blonde), then clear-coated. Now, if you just want a utility GI wooden stock, the CMP had some for $35 ea. It's worth a check at CMP Sales.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts