M14 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
PS;LOCK and LOAD,nothing wong with any of the M1A stocks appearances they all look good IMHO as do all the riflestocks pictured.

Thanks.... but have you seen Jrebs stocks??? WOW!!!!

I just freshened mine up and then gave them a coat of furniture wax over the BLO.

I do prefer a synthetic for the range, I have kids that shoot 'em and anyone else with me or at the range... they take abuse better and I wont cry over a dent or scratch.

Im searching now for another USGI wood stock to refinish for the preban I just picked up, she came dressed in the 'ole brown synthetic.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Springfield Armory ever since it's beginning has used Walnut when stocks were made of wood. It was during WWII and after when Walnut became scarce that birch was started to be used. Wood strength is measured several different ways one of which Fred uses when he says birch is stronger. If USGI stocks were made of walnut for over a hundred and fifty years or more, there were many reasons for this choice and I still believe it holds up today. Ever see a custom made stock made with birch?, I haven't, and custom stock makers have several selections of different strains of walnut that are used. BTW I am referring to Springfield Armory not SA Inc. Also the first stocks made for the USGI M14 were of Walnut.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Youll get no argument from me Id much prefer a good dense straight grain walnut over birch but it would seem
ww2 exhausted a good majority of the better wanut which in all likelyhood wasnt replanted.Perhaps the govt should have taken a page from the nazis problem solving and went to a laminated birch when good gunstock quality walnut became to limited/expensive for military use.Although the walnut from the 60s even that used on low cost firearms my first for instance an early 60s Rem ss
.22 model 514 likely the most inexpensive in rems lineup has better quality walnut than I see on most rugers, rems.and high end winny sporters.All qualitysteel and walnut excepting the black plastic buttplate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
big reds & Fred

Anyone here have a solid way to reach Fred? Iv been emailing, calling and trying to fax but no joy for over two weeks now GI4

I even called their Web Host, no help.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.