M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automatic Rifleman
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is more desirable in a durability/function way? Aesthetics are secondary to most everything I do, though, when they can be enhanced without functional sacrifice...

Cheers,

·
Automatic Rifleman
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen comments about birch being significantly stronger than walnut. I know it's more dense.
Yes, for ultimate rigidity I'd look at the JAE stocks or perhaps the York offering. I do however want to keep this rife dressed in wood.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Birch is stronger and then only better looking only if it has a tiger/flame pattern in the grain. Walnut on average is better looking. Just read Fred's website.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Big Red Birch

What is Big Red Birch? I found some on Army surplus store, reasonable prices. Any advantages to owning them?

·
Automatic Rifleman
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is the 'Big Red' variants are physically bigger in areas such as the grip portion.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Big Red = Springfield NM Stock?

Does anyone know if the Big Red is roughly equivalent in size and weight to a NM stock you would normally see from Springfield?

I am looking at giving Vera an upgrade and the Fred's stocks are right in the price range.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The big red is thicker in the pistol grip and forend were the stock contacts the front barrel band. The rear of thr stock is more like the a standard USGI stock. Beware Fred can be hit or miss on customer service.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have both. I prefer the birch because of the flame pattern. Both of my M14s work the same in either walnut or birch as far as sling up goes. I tried a USGI glass stock also, nice but too thin for my taste. I am told they are better for any extended use outdoors as they don't swell like wood when exposed to moisture.
If the wood stock was sealed correctly it would be OK.

In my experience I have shot HP matches in the rain and my rifles were just fine, no swelling or accuracy change at all.GI1

That may change if I was back in the jungle for weeks on end. GI8

·
Registered
20 Posts

Not an M1A but my Garand in Birch has been rock solid and reliable for many years. It's finished in varathane and has never shown any indication of warpage.

Mike

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
What is Big Red Birch? I found some on Army surplus store, reasonable prices. Any advantages to owning them?
"Big Red" is a nickname given by Fred to the USGI stocks made to the 11010263 drawings, they are beefier where it counts: around the receiver (more wood to support glass bedding) and foreend (stiffer to resist POI changes from sling tension, and better barrel support for better accuracy.) They were made both as replacements for broken early "skinny" stocks and for use on military NM rifles.

Here's a thread I started asking the very same question, lots of pics: MCORPS1

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=67109

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have always heard the Birch is stronger than the walnut. I have a crinkle finish GI and a camoed synthetic on my M1A and SOCOM. I would love to find a nice figured Birch stock for the standard to dress it up some.

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
A Big Red or NM walnut will be the only wood stocks that will facilitate a rear-lugged receiver. The rifle in my signature sports a Big Red birch. My original build started off with a rear-lugged Armscorp, but I sold it and went with a standard LRB. I kept the stock though and never routed it for a rear lug. She's a good stock and I am happy with it.

The GI fiberglass stocks are good for thrashing around in the woods. You scratch it, shrug your shoulders for a moment and move on. They are great as utility stocks and provide adequate hunting accuracy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
They both can be very nice looking stocks, but I too am partial to the birch stocks.... not exactly JohnnyRebs but here are some that I have refinished:

MIAs:

Garands:

G

·
USGI synthetic for durability hands down!
Durability yes, but I just can't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that I have when I have wood on the sexy gal. Lordy, a synthetic stock almost makes me feel like my rifle is just a tool. Wood makes me want to hold her and pet her and tell her how "purdy" she is.

If the world ever falls apart, then perhaps I'll switch to my synthetic stock, until then my baby wears wood.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I really like the look of wood and the feel. But I have small hands and prefer the GI synthetic feel in the grip area. It is just the right size for me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The big red is thicker in the pistol grip and forend were the stock contacts the front barrel band. The rear of thr stock is more like the a standard USGI stock. Beware Fred can be hit or miss on customer service.
Ive heard Fred can be kinda lacking in the promptness of his shipping which I can probably tolerate to a degree but how about his merchandise when finally delivered?As advertised? Excellent means excellent when it says metal included in the same condition is this a true satement etc?
Thanks,grndpndr

PS;LOCK and LOAD,nothing wong with any of the M1A stocks appearances they all look good IMHO as do all the riflestocks pictured.

The glass stocks flimsy as reported but warping of a wood stock is rare around here.What with the 10year drought were coming out of to a normal high desert rainfall level.Extremly low levels of humidity no worries of warping but I just prefer the glass.ill try reinforcing the forend.I believe as did Kieth?Only accurate rifles are interesting but if I can manage a 2moa w/quality ball 500m slilouettes w/ a basically stock MBR have had it and thats about my limit w/irons these days!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts