M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a wood stock for my M1A, but I can't decide if I want birch or walnut. I've read Fred's pros and cons of both. What I haven't figured out is how they look. Can someone post pics of both? I don't want a tiger stripe, just a nice golden brown stock.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
This is truly a personal decision. The golden brown color is usually from a nice birch stock. Most walnut stocks are a darker -- as in walnut-- color. Either will serve well and you could always buy one each.

·
Registered
566 Posts
plain brown wrapper

[/IMG]
This is a plain brown stock that I refinished . Nothing but Tung oil . One neat thing that does'nt show up in the photo is the iridesent gold flecks that run through the grain , which became more apparent with each successive coat of T.O .
N.Ctb

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that stock birch or walnut?

N.Cthrillbilly said:
[qimg][qimg]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/wro61/8cfbd293.jpg[/qimg][/qimg]
This is a plain brown stock that I refinished . Nothing but Tung oil . One neat thing that does'nt show up in the photo is the iridesent gold flecks that run through the grain , which became more apparent with each successive coat of T.O .
N.Ctb

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Whitch Wood??

That one is Birch! Here are a few examplesGI7
Two Birch stocks. One has been refinished(blondeone) The other one is stained as issued by Uncle Sam (dark one) The rifle is in a FG stock

Here is a Walnut stock

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
According to Fred's the birch is 20% stronger than walnut and less prone to dings (harder?). They can be stained darker, but birch, unlike walnut, is a closed grain wood and does not absorb stain as well as walnut. Stain tends to lay on the surface rather than soak in. Tigers have some open grain wood that does take stain better, but you get strong contrasts against the closed grain parts. A birch stock will, by the nature of the wood, be lighter than walnut. Plain birch is pretty - well - plain. Some like that.

Straight (plain) grain is less prone to structural warping under changing atmospheric conditions than "figured" wood like tiger birch and fancy walnut. That means the rifle is less prone to POI changes when the weather goes from humid to dry - hot to cold and back. Match shooters look for straight grained wood for their stocks. This is one reason fiberglass is so popular on precision rifles, none of the negatives of wood. Personally I like the look and feel of wood - walnut or birch.

CX

·
Registered
188 Posts
Birch tiger (from Fred's) is the "best" looking stock I own. Hands down beautiful! Walnut tiger (also from Fred's) is a distant second. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My .02 worth is that I had a walnut and didn't like how dark it was.
I picked up one Birch, looks like it may be a red birch. WOW! What beautiful bright stock. It makes the rifle really stand out and gives it a 3 dimensional feeling, not really attained with walnut.
The birch looked so good that in addition to the USGI synthetic, I bought two more birch in more of a yellow shade.
Did I mention, I only have two rifles. Stocks are pretty to look at whether a rifle is bedded to it or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts