M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to mount a bipod to my SAI synthetic (plastic) stock. I keep hearing about having to modify the stock a bit to get the various mini rail's to attach properly, plus they aren't exactly cheap (for me at least). I have some machining/fabrication skills and was thinking about fabricating a small steel rail that would bolt underneath the front sling swivel mount (I would purchase slightly longer screws of course to accomodate for the additional rail) and have it extend forward an inch or two. It would need to have a slight taper to fit flush to the stock indent. I would drill and then spot weld a sling stud on the rail for mounting the bipod. I'm confident I could make this quite easily and for near nothing. With some careful finishing it would look very sharp as well. Any thoughts/ideas? Is this a solid mounting point on this stock for a bipod? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thats what I did on one of mine, got a piece of pic rail and drilled the holes, countersink the hole a little so the rounded head will clear the bipod base. Worked good for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
sirtirithon,
Sounds like your method should work fine. Myself, I've never had the desire for a "rail" on my M14 type rifles so the offerings of the various manufacturers have seemed quite overpriced to me. I do on occasion use a Harris bipod on a rifle but that has been taken care of with a couple of bucks worth of hardware. What has worked best for me is to move the sling loop back a bit. Mount the front hole of the loop in what was the rear hole in the stock. Drill a new rear hole in the stock for the loop and use what was the front hole in the stock to mount the QD stud for the bipod. I use 10-32 pan head, hex drive screws and matching T-nuts to replace the rivets in the loop and attach the QD stud. You can't just mount the stud in the front hole of the loop because the base of the bipod interferes with the sling loop. Easier to do than to explain clearly! ICONLOL Glad to know I'm not the only cheap SOB around. ICONWINK

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Guys - if the OP has a newer SAI plastic stock, there is NO clearance in the forend for additional hardware. Also, the two holes for the sling loop have threaded inserts in them (look like brass). I think the threads are 10-24 but won't swear to it.

I'm not sure how strong those threaded inserts in the plastic stock are. I would want the bipod mounted in between those two screws if there's a way to do it. Mounting forward of the sling loop plate would create more leverage against them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
TinMan.
I have no experience with the new SAI stock but the T-nuts I recommend don't protrude into the forearm very far at all with the flanges bent slightly to contour to the bottom of the barrel channel. They could be inlet to not protrude at all if needed. I've only modified USGI synthetic stocks and I used a small lump of modeling clay to test clearance just to be sure. Placed a 1/4" ball of the stuff on the T-nut and inserted the barreled action. Squashed to about 1/16" in my case. Not a lot but enough. BGRIN1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts