M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a GG&G bipod adapter to attach to my SAI Synthetic Stock. Turns out there's NO room inside the forend between the operating rod and the "floor" of the channel inside the stock. (I moved the op rod forward and raised the screws until they hit the op rod - they barely cleared the floor of the forend and there's no way there's enough room for nuts in there.) There are two threaded metal inserts in the stock which the screws for the sling loop go into from the outside, and those inserts are almost as tall as the thickness of the stock at that point.

The catch is that this GG&G adapter is designed to have the screws come down from inside the stock & screw into the adapter. The holes in the adapter are threaded.

Seems like the solution is to drill out the holes in the adapter just enough so that the screws can pass through them and screw into the stock inserts. I would also have to counter-sink the holes in the GG&G insert, but it looks plenty thick to allow for that.

The big question for me is whether or not the SAI stock and those threaded inserts are strong enough to handle the stress of a bipod attached this way. What do you all think?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I believe it will be strong enough, but not to be abused, such as wartime use. Running along and diving into a ditch and slamming it to the ground in front of you to fire immediately.

If you cannot or do not wish to hull out the stock anymore, do to the thin material there, try filing down the inserts for width, then use white, ten ton epoxy from wal-mart for your bedding of it. This is what I use and will lock it in permanent like. Many here have used carbon arrow shafts or other carbon fiber materials to stiffen the fore-end and make it more durable and accurate. This might also help with your twisting and keep it from ripping through or cracking later at the bipod. You are on the right track though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts