M14 Forum banner

Bill, another magazine wrapped ?

8274 15
Here is a picture of a magazine wrapper that contained a legit KMT magazine. Different says KMT didn't get a a contract until 1965. Wrapper is dated 1963. What's up with that?

Got picture link to work
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,449 Posts
It depends upon what the date is. Is the date the time the wrapping material was made? Wrapping material was stored and could be use years after it was made. Or is the date the time the magazine was wrapped and sealed.

I do not know all of KMT's magazine contracts, but I know I have some KMT magazines in Springfield Armory wrappers that are quite early. KMT was a magazine sub contractor to SA during the rifle production, and that would not show up as an separate Ordnance Spare Parts Contract.

The package below was so early that SA was marking them as being Fire Tested Magazines. They are KMT inside.

Send me an email with the picture and I will post what it is.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
As stated the record of contracts shows Ordnance Spare Parts, which probably started as Different found, in 1965 for Kileen.

If the magazines were produced for SA, which yours and mine were, they become recorded in the M14 Production Costs, because each rifle had a quantity of magazines with it.

Yours was packed in 1963.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi Bill, has your...

web address changed. Can't seem to get it to load after a google search.

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce

· Registered
7,107 Posts
From what I understand, the letter "W" is a holdover from an earlier time when the individual army service branches did their own contracting. Contracts issued by army ordnance during that earlier time contained the letter "W" in the contract number to identify it as an ordnance contract. When army purchasing was centralized under the Army Materiel Command (that is what the "AMC" in the contract number denotes) the letter "W" continued in use as an element in the contract number to identify the contract as an ordnance contract.

Think of it as somewhat like the circumstance with the old SNL system which had unique alpha numeric identifiers for each weapons system. Even though the SNL system was phased out with the adoption of the FSN system, the B053 identifier had earlier been established for the M14 so you will see early production parts utilize the SNL number as a suffix to the FSN.

I doubt your SA barrel was the original barrel in the tube as SA did not mark their packaging with a contract number as it was not necessary since the army owned SA. SA was given production orders, the army did not contract with SA to do manufacturing.

· Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Bill,the barrel tube reads Springfield Armory,with a date of 02/63,was just curios what the (W) stood for,it slso has the drawing number for a NM barrel,im pretty sure its the original tube to go with that barrel,the barrel is slso NM marked 63 dated piece

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts
Bert, I don't believe Bill has been listening for a very long time. I guess we are on our own.

Ren
Yes, Bill's last time drive by here was July 4th, 2014.

GI4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.