M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M-14 stock that is much larger than a standard GI stock and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it is - aside from it being a large M-14 stock.

The oversized nature of the stock is most evident when compared from above or below and from the grip area forward.

I don't know if it was finished or not at the factory as it won't allow a standard M-1a to fit into it. The protruding end of the spring guide cross pin that sticks out to the side of the receiver doesn't have a matching cut-out in the stock. Up until the point that the protruding head hits it is a very tight fit. It looks like it is fiberglass bedded with no metal framework. Was it made for a lugged receiver? The squared area at the rear of the receiver cut out makes me think that but I've just seen photos of lugged rifles so that is a guess. Is there an M-1a that doesn't have the pin head protruding at the side of the receiver?

It's the top stock in the photos.

Thanks for any insight.
Herb

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes it's and oversize match stock for a lugged receiver.
Some match rifle builders will shorten the connector lock to be flush with the receiver so no notch is necessary.

I have a similar stock and I believe they we're made to the max dimensions allowed in service rifle competition.

Others may chime in with more and better info.

pg
USA2

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
That is what we normally call a Super Match stock pattern. It fits rear lugged receivers, and has to be fully bedded since it does not accept a stock liner.

Besides the obvious extra heavy wood, it also has a closed grip, to make it easier to pull the stock into your shoulder.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
A M1A or equiv barreled action will fit but you have to trim back the op rod guide locking pin or hog out some wood to create clearance for an uncut pin. Not much way to tell you where that "match" service rifle stock came from unless you can find some markings under the butt plate or in the barrel channel. That big slab is ideal for about a half-lb of epoxy/fiberglass bedding compound wherever metal meets wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts