M14 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
New taxes under Biden gun registration push will reach billions (msn.com)

Another short piece about this. I am not well versed on these braces, and the rule change seems to be predicated on them making an AR pistol a "dangerous" device by having a brace on it. Cannot the brace simply be removed from an AR pistol and then not be subject to this idiocy?
What am I missing? They seem to think the money is just going to come rolling in with owners of braced pistols lining up to register them. Seems highly unlikely many would.

·
Premium Member
Schrödinger's Leftist
1,154 Posts
I got at least 2 points in Section II and a guaranteed 5 in Section III - beat that!

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
So no one knows the answer to my question above?
Cannot the brace simply be removed from an AR pistol and then not be subject to this idiocy?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
So, 65 pages of BS trying to hide 5 pages of incorrect assumptions/guesses/opinions and 1 page of information that is of relevance (not necessarily truth) about the parts in question.

Reactions: Joeman335

·
Registered
452 Posts
So no one knows the answer to my question above?
Cannot the brace simply be removed from an AR pistol and then not be subject to this idiocy?
Yes, it can be removed. But why would you. Since these came with a determination letter from BATFE stating they were legal for the intended purpose and did not constitute a design change rendering the firearm a NFA weapon

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
OK, I guess what I dont get is whether the brace came mounted on the AR or are they added after market? As I said I am not familiar with how these work or are purchased. Does any brace come with an ATF letter if purchased with or without being mounted on an AR?
Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
OK, I guess what I dont get is whether the brace came mounted on the AR or are they added after market? As I said I am not familiar with how these work or are purchased. Does any brace come with an ATF letter if purchased with or without being mounted on an AR?
Thanks!
Both. Some firearms come with them and the letter is generally in the box.

You can also buy whatever style you care for and attach it to your pistol (They make them for more than AR platforms)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Does this whole idiotic premise go back to the original rule that if you place the devise against your shoulder it becomes a restricted short barreled rifle? The people who come up with these stupid rules and proposed laws need to get a life!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does this whole idiotic premise go back to the original rule that if you place the devise against your shoulder it becomes a restricted short barreled rifle? The people who come up with these stupid rules and proposed laws need to get a life!
BATFE caused all the problem with their waffling back and forth with that.

The whole thing with weight blows me away. The reason for the brace was to stabilize heavy pistols. Personally, I think the original "Sig Brace" is a extremely heavy and uncomfortable thing as designed. When I used one, I turned it 45° and placed it below my arm. If I was going to use one, it would be the Gear Head Works Tailhook. It's light and does what you want it to do. Recovering from multiple shoulder injuries, I understand the pluses

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
They opened the $#!+fest...

If you want, you can copy my homework....

I'm no 'Conservatard', but these regulations are, from a non-partisan standpoint, absolutely ridiculous, and deserving of ridicule.

The Second Amendment, like it or not, made it into the Bill of Rights, and if you want to change that, there is a process to do so.

Introducing regulations that effectively legislate from the bureaucrat's desk restricting or regulating the exercise of Civil rights, not only without a justified safety concern, but without legislation, shows a complete disregard for Civil Rights across the board, and you don't get a pass on that just because the Second Amendment is unpopular, or some ignorant politicians don't know how our system is supposed to work.

'80%' receiver blanks and 'SBR' style firearms that use pistol braces (and if you want to really open up this can of warms, actual 'Short Barreled Rifles') are NOT a widespread problem. Despite a lot of circus theater, nobody has shown that they ACTUALLY are an issue. This is just grandstanding to 'DO SOMETHING' about an issue to distract us from legitimate issues like the cost-benefit ratio of attending college, our healthcare system, or anything else that actually impacts the life of everyday people, EN MASSE.

This moves sure seems like you let some professional activist fox into the hen house, and as a LIBERAL-LEANING citizen, I am concerned that this over reach will back fire into simply more polarization and political grand standing. No good will come of this.

I know a bunch of you know how to do your job, and a lot of you do it well, and please, please pass on the thanks to those who actually do that. But for the sake of Peter, Paul, and even Mary, drop this nonsense and focus on enforcing the sensible laws that already exist, such as catching and prosecuting straw purchase buyers, catching and prosecuting criminals who steal guns, and if you're feeling like you don't have enough to do, get back to me and I can find some volunteer work for you guys to do at our local high school. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of seeing you guys with your jackets.

Just please don't shoot any neighborhood dogs. :p

That was a joke, I hope. I'm guessing that actually isn't BATFE policy, just your Internet reputation, and we know how the Internet is...

Be well, and thank you for listening. You guys have better things to do than this nonsense. Please act like it.

Bust our a thesaurus if you don't want the teacher to grade you down for plagiarism...

Or, if you're concerned about them tracking you through your computer...

Send them a pile of snail mail... Maybe use some perfume to make Denise Brown feel like a real woman...

Mail: Denise Brown, Mail Stop 6N-518, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20226; ATTN: ATF 2021R-08.

Or, if you still have a Fax Machine, or an Internet Web Service.... That'd be awesome.

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I once saw a youTube video of someone casting an AR lower from aluminum cans. Didn't take that many cans and didn't take 8 hrs either.

Other videos sho folks cassting AR lowrs from resin. I wouldn't wnt one, but they seem to work.

Then there is this whole other way of creating a functional AR lower from flat plastes bolted together. Again, I'd rather have one machined from a billet or a forging, but this type of AR lower can be made to work.

Stoner's genius has stood the test of time in that the basic design is flexible and saleable from pistol caliber carbines all the way up to .308 size cartridges and so on . . .while the components are nearly modular requiring only basic tools and basic skills to put them together.

An interesting look-back for me is the $h!+-storm of heavy criticism the M-16 got from active duty minatory professionals and veterans in the early to mid 1960s when it was issued to troops during the Viet Nam War. It was called a pop gun, mouse gun with modifiers that violate community standards on this board.

Now the liberals call it the scourge of mankind (humankind, LGBTQ+ kind?)
We said "They were made by Mattell & they are swell". An upgrade (?) from a M! carbine?

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,117 Posts
We said "They were made by Mattell & they are swell". An upgrade (?) from a M! carbine?

I understand old school conservatism when it comes to firearms. In the run-up to the Civil War there was institutional resistance in the Army to modernizing from smooth bore muskets to rifles and Minne style bullets. During the war there was resistance, by some, to repeting rifles.

I do recall the resistance to moving to the m-16 from t6he m-14, a "real" rifle, "a man's rifle.", and so on. So now the M16/M-4 is something like 50-60 years in service with the US military . . . every branch. So how bad is it?

BTW: Matell also made break pads for the prototype F-111s too.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need some help please on effective message / verbiage to submit as Comments to the Federal Register for the proposed legislation.

I would appreciate any help as I know that I need help with submitting a effective comment.

Link to Federal Register for Commenting follows:

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,117 Posts
New taxes under Biden gun registration push will reach billions (msn.com)

Another short piece about this. I am not well versed on these braces, and the rule change seems to be predicated on them making an AR pistol a "dangerous" device by having a brace on it. Cannot the brace simply be removed from an AR pistol and then not be subject to this idiocy?
What am I missing? They seem to think the money is just going to come rolling in with owners of braced pistols lining up to register them. Seems highly unlikely many would.

If this some how sticks as enforceable law I see two things happening (well maybe three):

1. Folks who don't want the complications will just remove the brace.

2. Folks who don't mind the paperwork and fees involved will register the firearm as an SBR . . .and put a real stock on it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I saw this coming. Somehow they think short barrel firearms are more deadly; you know, with less velocity, less range, and bigger fireballs…

These elected officials really should do their homework before they piss off a bunch of armed people that don’t like them to begin with.
I think their argument is more of concealment and that some of the gangs are starting to use the pistols in rifle calibers.

They could easily go w a PCC (Pistol caliber carbine) or a PDW in an 8" w a single point sling over a pistol brace. Probably would shoot better too.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts