M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SAI NM M1a rifle. I still have the rifle in the NM bedded stock. I would like to mount a bi-pod. Not a USGI type, but one that attaches through a rail.
Does anyone one have any advice how install a bi-pod? Do I need to install a small bottom rail? How would I do this on a wood stock without cracking?
If you have information, pics of your setup, ect, - would you please help.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you loose the your swivel for the sling? I have a great US leather sling on my M1a & Garand. I use them so much I don't want to lose that aspect.
I like Sadlak scope mounts a lot. I love the brand. Does anyone have pictures of their set-up??

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Sadlac part#140063 Heavy Duty Front Rail with internal nut plate will accommodate your current front sling swivel. Unless your stock is like mine....I was afraid to grind off any more wood inside the stock to handle more than the internal nut plate. It felt like the wood was getting thin and I didn't want to weaken the stock any more.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Weather you decide to go with the reinforced ad stud or the sadlak rail option you won't go wrong. I have a reinforced qd stud kit and I use a Harris pod. I also opted for there heavy duty sling swivel that attaches to the harris pod. Sadlak has the solution and mike makes a great product.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
You might want to look at the GG&G short rail as well. I think it's designed specifically for their bipods, but that worked out well for me.

http://www.gggaz.com/bipod-adapters-for-standard-and-heavy-duty-bipods.html
3rd gizmo down from the top.

Note that the GG&G rail holes are threaded. They expect you put bolts in with the heads inside your fore-end. That may or may not work depending on how much clearance you have for the gas cylinder. For me, it was fine on one rifle and not-fine on the other.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
the rail pictured is one option if you want to keep your original swivel, however if your not attached to it, you can always add an uncle mikes sling swivel to your G.I. sling, they are not very spendy.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't trust myself drilling these holes or shimming off wood on my NM stock. Is there anyone I could send it off to? With all the parts or maybe they would have them ready to install.

I like the Sadlak rail because you can keep the sling swivel. I am just apprehensive to install that on my rifle. I am an "amateur" gun smith & do not want to bubba my rifle up! haha

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
You may not have to dremel out your stock to seat the nutplate - every wood stock is a little different. If you do have to, all it requires is a little dremel work. Maybe we can set someone who has installed the nutplate for either the front rail or QD post assembly can give you some advice or reassurance. I'm sure there are many people who can install it for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. It's not as complicated as it may appear. Ted Brown has installed them and may be able to jump in with advice.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
on the qd post assy, you stick your drill bit into the rivets that hold the original sling swivel on, drill out one, then the other. once the rivets come out, the original swivel comes right off. now my wood stock took a bit of wood removal. use a flat stone or router type bit in your dremel, and you just remove a little bit of wood at a time (from the inside of the stock) until the plate and screws fit, and clear the op rod when assembled. if you take your time and go slowly it may take at most 1/2hr.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might take this project on now that y'all have talked about it. I was trying to figure out how to take out the rivets. Thanks Lefty for the advice. I am by no means a novice to working on projects, I have just been a little gun shy because this is my favorite rifle. haha

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
as long as your careful, the only damage you can do will be to the inside of the stock where no one can see it!! nervous was me last night cutting in the flair on my damascus 1911 slide's ejection port!!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as long as your careful, the only damage you can do will be to the inside of the stock where no one can see it!! nervous was me last night cutting in the flair on my damascus 1911 slide's ejection port!!!!
That would make me nervous as well! I am going to really look into this rail set up and order parts soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.