M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says i want to hear about some of the newer style hammocks.

We are doing a mountain trip soon and i would like to find a two person mosquito hammock. Preferably one that lets you lie flatter. I have read elsewhere there has been great advances in hammocks.

Lots of great suggestions in the other hammock thread but i am looking for one that myself and my son can use. I sleep on my back and do not toss or change positions fhe whole night so a cot might be a good option for car camping.

For example the fancier cots for bigger guys look fairly comfortable. Can anyone say how they compare to hammocks ?

The cots loom and feel nice but a test at the store isnt a good measure of comfort.

So would you rather have a good hammock with mosquito net and tarp and hike in sleep and hike out?

Or would nice cabellas cot provide considerably better rest for achy bones?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you like hammocks, check out Hennessey hammocks. They are $200 to $300, but I have friends who swear by them.

I can't sleep with my feet up like hammocks tend to make you. Supposedly the Hennessey allows you to lie flatter though.

Better have some trees around to tie it to.

I personally sleep on a mat on the ground. Cheaper that way :)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Reactions: Dredsen

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hammocks are not the most comfortable things to sleep in for some. You can experiment with tying the foot side of the hammock slightly lower than the head, this is what I normally do. I guess it's gonna depend the environment you're camping in. We have plenty trees, wet ground, and critters not bashful about climbing in to bunk with you. That's why I use a mosquito hammock.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Camping out of a vehicle and sleeping right next to it? Then weight/clutter/aggravation isn't an issue, so I might pick the cot.

If I was walking/hiking distances and sleeping where I got tired, it got dark, or it was just a good spot (water, natural cover, etc) I'd probably pick the hammock. Down here chiggers and ticks are more numerous than flies or mosquitos (it seems, since we get more ticks/chiggers on us just working in the yard than we do mosquito bites). I'd hate to have to sleep on the ground.

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
339 Posts
One more thing since this is posted I the broken arrow section. A lot of the new style hammocks don't insulate very well at all. This is great while camping in the summer, but if you need to use it in the winter you are going to need a really good sleeping bag as well

Reactions: Dredsen and geeck

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would imagime much like ice on a bridge, a hammock would freeze eaiser due to air flow above and beneath?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would always choose a hammock over a cot. I've been hammock camping for 4-5 years. My current hammock is homemade from a polyester taffeta tablecloth that cost me 12 bucks. Diy suspension from amsteel blue and re - purposed Home Depot ratchet straps. Lying flat in a hammock is about technique, you lie diagonal to your suspension. If you want to read more than you ever thought possible about any kind of hammock ever used by humans, visit Hammockforums. This is me weekend before last on a hunting trip with daytime temps of 92-93° and my trusty new battery powered fan.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a cot unless all you do is car camp. If you have to carry your gear in on your back, canoe, or kayak a hammock is the way to go, they save space and weight and are still comfortable.

Another thing with a hammock is as long as you have suitable trees around you can sleep level and good. I took a canoe camping trip a few weeks ago and pretty much every decent camping spot on the river has some slope to it. I found it pretty uncomfortable to be sleeping on a slope all night in a tent. If I had a hammock I would have been a lot better off.

Reactions: oldandtired

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you are car camping I'd also consider an air mattress. Comfortable and insulated. Set up in a tent if bugs are an issue.

If I am backpacking I use a themarest pad and add a military closed cell foam pad underneath in winter/snow conditions.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Location, Location, Location...

You are in Texas, and you mentioned 'mountain trip'...

Ok...where you are going...are there TREES to hang a Hammock Between or NOT?

GI2

If Not...it's kinda moot!

If there are Trees right where you want to 'car-camp'...Fine!

If Not...Cots, And Air Mattresses are the OLD-Timey Stand-By's for Car Camping...since the last century!

GI2

I have Hammocks, I like Hammocks...but, you gots to have TWO Points to Hang EACH ONE!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hike in sleep hike out? Hammock, hands down if you have a place to hang it. There is no better sleep. Lightweight,compact,very versatile. And a long learning curve,but worth it. Learn at home BEFORE you go,though. Now I gotta find the other hammock thread.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lots of hammock threads here. Wow. I'm just up for a pill reload til the hurt backs off,gonna have to catch up later. My 2¢ : I have an Eno double nest and a jungle mosquito hammock. The double nest is my favorite. Very comfortable, can use different tarps,nets,hanging systems,etc as you learn. Have I mentioned there's a bunch to learn? And to try before you rely?
Polyester straps combined with loopy slings are the berries for backpacking. Quality life support rated carabiners are your friends. Don't try to hang on para cord. Underground Quilts makes awesome gear. You've screwed up and found another awesome, fun,interesting, and potentially expensive hobby if you go the hammock route. You've also started smart by asking. Tons of info on various hammock forums. Some patience/sifting is required. It's a whole nother world.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are always going to be cooler above the ground due to airflow passing underneath you. This is true in both cots as well as hammocks. It's warmer sleeping on the ground. In the Army I've used all three methods on a number of occasions. You have to use an Isomat for insulation when sleeping on a cot outside. Without it, you bet your ass it's going to be a cold night, especially in place like where I live here on the prairie in windy Wyoming. I will usually wake up around 3 or 4 in the morning from being cold and it's still summer time here. Even with all three layers of my Bivy sack on, I'll still get cold without the Isomat. So, if you are planning on getting either, make sure you have something underneath you to keep you insulated. If you are doing a hike, I would not suggest bringing a cot. Too big, heavy, and awkward. A hammock makes more sense, however you do need trees in order for it to work. Again, I would suggest sleeping on the ground. Like someone suggested, If you need extra cushioning, bring an air mattress. There are some really good self inflatable bed roles out there, like my 67 year old dad uses and loves, that you don't have to blow up yourself. You just open up the valve and it will inflate by itself. Reopen the valve when you're done, role it up and you're set. It's quick, lightweight and hassle free - great for hiking.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Things don't get so cold here in Northern California, I use a woobie as an underquilt hung from looped 1/8" shock cord. If it's windy or raining, I tie my woobie into a poncho and hang that underneath. I use another woobie as a topquilt and hang my tarp low, and that's usually warm enough, if not, I wear a fleece top. In the early spring and fall, I'll just use a sleeping bag as a topquilt and also put my ridgerest pad in my ENO doublenest.

I don't usually have to worry about bugs really, they don't seem to like me. But I did treat my suspension stuff with permetherin(spelling?) to keep the crawlies out.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If and Only if weight is not an issue, This comes in at around 40lbs.... This is the best option out there. Yes it is available in camo. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these. At $799.00 it's not an impulse buy for me.

[ame]http://youtu.be/7kG2BjMH_-c[/ame]

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I have two Trek Lights and both my kids have them too...

(I also have tents, cots, etc., etc., and all have their own distinct uses)

The Trek Light site has a lot of good info:

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.