M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I have an M1A Scout, and I'm looking to throw on a spare Trijicon MRO.

Should I go with the M14.CA SHG with a low mount for the MRO? I want a decent cheek weld(not chin). Is it worth the effort and money? Or should I just stick with irons? I think this would be a really cool/versatile rifle with the red dot.

I would like to add that I already have an AR so this wouldn't really have a dedicated role, just an overall cool/workhorse rifle.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Hey everyone!
I have an M1A Scout, and I'm looking to throw on a spare Trijicon MRO.

Should I go with the M14.CA SHG with a low mount for the MRO? I want a decent cheek weld(not chin). Is it worth the effort and money? Or should I just stick with irons? I think this would be a really cool/versatile rifle with the red dot.

I would like to add that I already have an AR so this wouldn't really have a dedicated role, just an overall cool/workhorse rifle.
I like mine...

I have heard that the Ultimak is just a little bit lower and heavier.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Kind of depends on what you want to do with it. I have the CA SHG and love it! It super light and makes grabbing your rifle around the barrel easier because of how low profile it is.

I put my red dot up front on the SHG, I have it there because in theory I can use my PVS-14 on my head and still get on target. If this isnt a big deal, toss it anywhere, then. Even if I went scoped, I would still have the CA SHG because of lightness of it. And I like rails, but not on the side, more bottom and top. Heres mine.

Almost forgot!!! This rail actually helped my groups, it mentions that on his website, that it may or may not. But it did mine. You can call him, I once called on a Saturday and he picked up, it's a small business, nice guy,and very down to earth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sorry, lol, havent had my coffee yet.....

Another thought, if your to co-witness (which I'll admit I havent done), but I shoot suppressed and so bought the Smith hooded front sight. If you look at my pics you'll notice its higher than normal, for shooting over a suppressor. You have to crank up your rear sight (suppressed at 25-200 battle zero I'm 26 clicks up from bottom, unsuppressed I'm about 21? Been a while). Any how, this setup may help you raise the irons, there by being able to raise your red dot a bit if it seems too low on a rail like this, and still co witness. Just food for thought.

Eberybody's cheek bones and shooting style is different. I've met guys bigger than me that run lower optics and like it, i like mine a tad higher, guess i have fat cheeks, lol.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The stock forward rail gave me a slight chin weld, but it seemed manageable. I wish I could find one of the CA handguards used for a little bit less.
Dude, they're totally worth it IMHO. tightened groups, light, etc. They're also, as far as I know the cheapest option out there for this application. But Inu understand wanting a used one, money I money. M1A's are NOT cheap, lol. I thought my SIG MCX all decked out was my most expensive gun.... until I got the M14 bug.... lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude, they're totally worth it IMHO. tightened groups, light, etc. They're also, as far as I know the cheapest option out there for this application. But Inu understand wanting a used one, money I money. M1A's are NOT cheap, lol. I thought my SIG MCX all decked out was my most expensive gun.... until I got the M14 bug.... lol
Maybe if I could find someone that's local who would let me mount my MRO on it... I'd purchase it right away if that was the case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts