M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The concept of my rifle is this: the most rugged, maintenance free, light weight M1A as possible, but with maximum accuracy given those constraints. I will be putting in a 22" chrome lined barrel. There will obviously be no bedding job. My question is what NM accessories, if any, should I add on to the rifle to improve accuracy without decreasing ruggedness.

I currently have a 2-stage trigger, but not much else in terms of NM parts. I've heard of possibly a unitized gas system. What else might improve the accuracy, or is this all a waste of time for a USGI spec chrome lined barrel? Even if it's only a tiny improvemnt, I still want to do it.

Question #2: What are my barrel options? I was going to order from LRB. For a minimal weight chrome lined barrel, is there a better source?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Grab a copy of Duff's M14 Owner's Manual. That should give you the details you need.

I would start at the gas system and tighten that up by either buying a unitized gas system or shimming the one you've got to pinch the barrel band. Make sure the gas cylinder fits on the barrel with zero play (peen the splines on the barrel as necessary). Do the same with the flash suppressor--if it wiggles, peen the barrel until it doesn't.

You might consider doing a minimal amount of bedding--you don't have to go do a full blown heavy duty match bedding job. The GI fiberglass stocks have a pretty good track record for a tight fit.

A GI chrome lined barrel will shoot pretty darned fine if the rest of the rifle is tight.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Re: Best way to accurize a chrome-lined based rifle (if at a

matterhorn762 said:
The concept of my rifle is this: the most rugged, maintenance free, light weight M1A as possible, but with maximum accuracy given those constraints. I will be putting in a 22" chrome lined barrel. There will obviously be no bedding job. My question is what NM accessories, if any, should I add on to the rifle to improve accuracy without decreasing ruggedness.
I had the same Idea.

The rifle in my signature started out as a rack grade all H&R on an Armscorp receiver built by Warbird.

It now has a:
- "big red" birch stock (not bedded)
- NM trigger
- NM op rod spring guide
- NM flash hider
- Unitized (screws & glue) & shimmed gas cylinder

It shoots 1 moa.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
You accurize a chrome line barreled M14 the same as any other. It is not uncommon for a chrome lined barrel to shoot very well. I have one bedded and one just in a synthetic stock. A good trigger, good sights and the gas assembly & op rod guide tight on the barrel will go a long way towards good accuracy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your USGI chrome-lined barrel is not THE limiting factor to the rifle's accuracy potential. It will stand well on its own for a long time. You might reconsider the statement that "there will obviously be no bedding job." Proper bedding is important. It does not have to be a high-dollar job. Learn how bedding effects the rifle, then learn to do a basic job, yourself.

Next in order might be getting a good trigger pull. If it's not right, send it off to be done right. Shouldn't cost more than $50 unless parts replacement is necessary. Call first, some won't work on what they consider to be junk.

Once your bedding issues are solved to your satisfaction, there are a couple of ways to address the gas cylinder location and fit. Cylinder should fit tight on the barrel. Peening of the barrel splines is often necessary. The use of shims, generally to .015" total, may be helpful in getting the barrel band and gas cylinder to be a tight fit together, and will also help the gas cylinder to "clock" correctly into position. Unitizing the band and cylinder is an upgrade to this, although shimming may still be of help in locating the unitized assembly.

I wouldn't throw money at sights in an effort to get accuracy. Just make sure that your rear sight is right as to fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.